New Browser Required?

2 watchers
Nov 2015
6:09pm, 21 Nov 2015
6,373 posts
  •  
Duchess
I have a rather elderly laptop whose sole function, pretty much, is to allow me to upload stuff from Garmin, including to this site. It has whatever version of IE it came with (2008?) which I try not to use as its abysmally slow, and Google Chrome which I quite like. Unfortunately Garmin doesn't like Chrome so I have to use IE for uploading (I use The Garmin upload rather than having a Garmin Connect account).

At some point this week IE has stopped working. It starts to launch a session, then just stops. I can type words into the address bar but nothing happens. The Home icon doesn't go anywhere,the favourites don't go anywhere, boa bla bla.

I've also discovered I've got Safari on the laptop but that won't work either; it just sits spinning.

Chrome is fine. But Chrome won't load my runs...

So any suggestions for something new? The poor laptop won't tolerate too much these days but it still does simple stuff okay.
Nov 2015
6:42pm, 21 Nov 2015
9,130 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Firefox? Sometimes it is more the computer than the sotware, though.
Nov 2015
6:42pm, 21 Nov 2015
503 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Firefox is the only other one I know of.
Nov 2015
6:54pm, 21 Nov 2015
24,847 posts
  •  
idio
Their is also Opera but don't know if Garmin works with it.
Nov 2015
7:09pm, 21 Nov 2015
6,374 posts
  •  
Duchess
Problem in computer is still better than problem in chair.... ;-)
Nov 2015
7:30pm, 21 Nov 2015
9,131 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
We still have an aged PC with Windows Vista on it so I feel your pain.
Nov 2015
7:46pm, 21 Nov 2015
6,375 posts
  •  
Duchess
I probably need to think about replacing it, but I can't bring myself to do it, when I use it so little. Although if it worked better, I might use it more I suppose...

Not sure what or why but downloading the latest IE (IE9 as it happens) and disabling all the add-ons except Garmin communicator and the Microsoft ones (mainly because I don't know what they do...) seems to have cured it.
Nov 2015
7:48pm, 21 Nov 2015
9,284 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I got a new laptop last christmas, but the usb ports there werenot compatible with my garmin ant stick, so the old decrepit laptop remains in use, solely to upload my garmin runs to fetch....
Nov 2015
8:18pm, 21 Nov 2015
1,507 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Good news Duchess, it's amazing how computers can sometimes just work when you try something that you think has no chance !

That doesn't sound right Baz, USB is supposed to be backward and forward compatible - ie if your stick is newer version that the port it will work, but just at the speed of the port, and if the port is newer version than the stick, then will work at the speed of the stick.
Did you investigate much ?
Nov 2015
8:32pm, 21 Nov 2015
9,285 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
it was a while ago but I did muck about for a while over 2-3 days and a few runs and there was a message about the USB not being compatible with the port, regardless of which of the ports I tried and at least one was supposed to be the previous version....

About This Thread

Maintained by Duchess
I have a rather elderly laptop whose sole function, pretty much, is to allow me to upload stuff from...