New Bike or Upgrade

2 watchers
Mar 2015
12:24pm, 12 Mar 2015
5 posts
  •  
sgillespieuk
Hi,

I currently own a Giant Defy 2 2012 which does not have that many miles on the wheels as I was more focused on running the last few years, including a few marathons last year.

I am doing a few 70.3 this year (Outlaw and Dublin) and have been thinking about a new bike (n+1) and was looking at a Felt AR5.

However I wondered if instead of getting a new bike would it be more worthwhile upgrading a few things on the Defy instead and if that was the best option what should I do first?

Lastly being a 200lb+ guy who needs to loose at least 14 pounds, I often wonder if a new bike or upgrades will make that much difference!!!

Thanks for any comments/suggestions

Jazz
Mar 2015
12:35pm, 12 Mar 2015
55,407 posts
  •  
Gobi
Get a TT bike and keep the Defy for training

Instant free speed once set up
Mar 2015
12:39pm, 12 Mar 2015
19,827 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
If you are happy with the frame and the way it fits, you are better off upgrading the components
There are some very good deals about on complete shimano groupsets at the moment, and the other thing to upgrade is your wheels
Mar 2015
12:42pm, 12 Mar 2015
19,828 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
That said - the Felt AR5 looks pretty decent value!
Mar 2015
12:42pm, 12 Mar 2015
12,820 posts
  •  
GlennR
Please explain about the wheel upgrade eL Bee! What impact does it have?
Mar 2015
12:55pm, 12 Mar 2015
150 posts
  •  
Hertford Tiger
Agree the Felt looks good value and I love my Felt (Z6).

But I do think that in terms of value for money an upgrade to the Giant would be best. New wheels would be first on the list. Generally more expensive wheels perform better than the stock wheels that most companies fit to bikes in order to hit price points. They tend to roll better and are lighter. My Felt certainly acelerates faster and goes up hills easier with the new wheels than with the stock ones and these were £350 from memory but as with everything to do with this hobby you could spend thousands on wheels.
You will also notice a massive difference if you can shed that weight. I was close to 14 st and got down to 12.5 over last summer and it made a big difference to my endurance, and was actually cheaper than trying to lose a few grams from the bike.
Mar 2015
1:08pm, 12 Mar 2015
19,829 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Glenn - Standard wheels have a tendency to be heavy, the aero charateristics of a caravan, made of marshmallow, and have low quality bearings (because they are cheap and keep the overall cost of a complete bike down!)
A few quid spent on a new groupset (the new shimano sets are great value at the moment, and much better to use than the previous incarnation) and some stiffer, lighter higher quality wheels will make a bike feel completely different
Mar 2015
1:38pm, 12 Mar 2015
55,409 posts
  •  
Gobi
I still say if he is doing a number of 70.3s a specific aero TT frame makes more sense
MPH
Mar 2015
1:47pm, 12 Mar 2015
727 posts
  •  
MPH
How many minutes would a TT bike buy you on a half over a good roadie, with the same rider on?
Mar 2015
2:50pm, 12 Mar 2015
55,410 posts
  •  
Gobi
Using me as an example

Rode a 23.3X on my road bike when in the best shape of my life on a perfect day. I have ridden 2 mins faster on a similar course in worse conditions.

Over 25 that just goes out. I have ridden 52 mins for a 25 and doubt I could go sub 60 on a road bike.

Take that out to 50 miles and enough said

About This Thread

Maintained by sgillespieuk
Hi,

I currently own a Giant Defy 2 2012 which does not have that many miles on the wheels as I wa...