•  
Serendippily
*tags*
Jan 2020
11:35am, 12 Jan 2020
411 posts
  •  
Peregrinator
I marked it down because I felt that St Aubyn somewhat short changed both Patrick and us by not suggesting how St Aubyn had processed his own experiences: clearly not by trying to make them fade to indifference. No reason why an author should be nice to their characters or help their readers I suppose, but what is he suggesting people who go through abuse and are not talented writers do? For me, that's where the bleakness is, and I am probably not judging St Aubyn against what he set out to do. But I should/will read books 4+5 some point.
Jan 2020
1:27pm, 12 Jan 2020
15,677 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I thought he aimed to get Patrick to the point where he was no longer worrying about putting off the man on the telly by his behaviour (really liked that)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Are you feeling stupid? Are you feeling contagious?

Then you need the first novel in the Patrick Melrose series by Edward St Aubyn. Discuss it below. Go on. Discuss.

I found it hard, it's hard to find, oh well, whatever, never mind.