Neolithic marathon

3 watchers
Mar 2013
10:04pm, 31 Mar 2013
285 posts
  •  
beebop
Well, I know it's not until May, but I'm already wondering what shoes to wear for this - if there's anyone around who's done this before, what would you recommend? Trail shoes, road shoes, wellies, huaraches? Have to go shopping if it's either of the last two...

And leaving shoes aside, how did you like it? I'm not thinking of it as a PB race, but any and all opinions would be valued!
Mar 2013
10:08pm, 31 Mar 2013
4,808 posts
  •  
becca7
Quite a nice route, a lot of it along the Ridgeway. Lovely to start at Avebury and finish at Stonehenge. A couple of short sharp climbs, otherwise fairly rolling. The main issue was uneven terrain underfoot. I wore trail shoes but I think road shoes might have been ok.
Mar 2013
10:12pm, 31 Mar 2013
286 posts
  •  
beebop
Thanks! Was worried about trail shoes if there was much road involved, but if it's mostly trail I think I'll make a decision based on the rainfall running up to the day. My road shoes are okay on trail but not pretty on mud...
Mar 2013
10:15pm, 31 Mar 2013
4,809 posts
  •  
becca7
Good plan. I don't particularly remember it being muddy last year.
Mar 2013
10:22pm, 31 Mar 2013
287 posts
  •  
beebop
Ah. That might change things! Everything round here was muddy last year, all year, but perhaps the clue's in the name 'ridgeway' - as opposed to vale of York. Some places just drain more efficiently. :-)

Trail shoes might lack bounce over 26 miles.

Thanks again.
Jan 2017
12:06pm, 17 Jan 2017
19,335 posts
  •  
Maclennane
anyone up for this this year? I've signed up on a whim and don't really know what I've let myself in for, how tough is it?
Jan 2017
6:20pm, 17 Jan 2017
875 posts
  •  
beebop
It has some pretty big hills, if you're not living in a hilly place and therefore used to them! It was extremely hot the year I did it, and I had a hip problem on the run up (and on the day) so that might affect my judgement: pretty tough but well worth doing. Not as tough as Lakeland Trails Coniston marathon. I did it in road shoes and there were some stony bits where I almost regretted that, but I think they were the right choice. I'd do it again!
Jan 2017
6:41pm, 17 Jan 2017
19,336 posts
  •  
Maclennane
Wow, "not as tough as Lakeland trails" is a hell of a modifier!
Jan 2017
7:40pm, 17 Jan 2017
876 posts
  •  
beebop
Is it? Only trail marathon I've done, and I was shattered by the end. Could barely drag myself to the pub for food... ;-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by beebop
Well, I know it's not until May, but I'm already wondering what shoes to wear for this - if there...