Need some advice, open to suggestions.

1 watcher
Jan 2013
5:50pm, 3 Jan 2013
3,120 posts
  •  
Shin-Twigs
I have been thinking about this for a few days so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I have a (club) place for VLM 2013. I also have a place for Brighton the week before. Yes, I know lots of people do both.

Thing is, the thought of training for a marathon at the moment is not exciting me. My runnings pretty slow, not where I should be at this point in time and if I do another marathon I want to do it real justice.
I've also started doing triathlons with my first open water last September and I'd like to do more of those.

I'd also like to lose at least a stone in weight, and long distance running doesn't help me lose weight, I don't know why tho!. Not high intensity enough I guess.

I also enjoy the other training I do, circuits, boxercise, spinning and cycling outdoors and I have to shelve that if I marathon train, until May when the triathlon season starts. So I'd be unfit for triathlon because of training for marathon.

Can you be a marathon runner and a triathlete (yes I know you can do Ironman, which I don't want to do!)

I just can't decide. Maybe I should defer VLM for 2013?
Jan 2013
6:00pm, 3 Jan 2013
2,466 posts
  •  
Lalli
Sounds to me like you've kind of decided what you want to do, but need us to tip you the nod?! I'd defer VLM to 2014 - you sound like you don't fancy a marathon at all. Go with the tri training and your other stuff - the weight'll drop off you and then you'll be fit and uninjured to do VLM 2014 justice? Best of luck. :-)
Jan 2013
6:11pm, 3 Jan 2013
3,555 posts
  •  
Jambomo
If VLM is a club place then can you let someone in your club take it? May take the pressure off you a little, as Lalli said above, it sounds as though you know what you want to do.
Jan 2013
6:12pm, 3 Jan 2013
9,889 posts
  •  
paul a
Tri ponce.
Jan 2013
6:27pm, 3 Jan 2013
10,175 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Not sure you can defer a club place, you can transfer it to another club member.

If you don't want to train for a marathon and don't enjoy the training for them then stick to what you enjoy doing.
Jan 2013
7:08pm, 3 Jan 2013
3,121 posts
  •  
Shin-Twigs
many thanks for your replies

I believe that you can defer a place.

I am going to follow my marathon trianing plan for 4 weeks as I can still do pretty much the rest of what I do as well as this, and then at the end of 4 weeks I can then assess where I am and if I am enjoying the running again.
thanks
Jan 2013
7:56pm, 3 Jan 2013
114 posts
  •  
oi you
I think you'll find that if you do defer the club place then that place is deducted from the club's allocation for the next year. I think your club-mates might not be best pleased if you deny someone else a place next year by taking a place this year with no intention of using it.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shin-Twigs
I have been thinking about this for a few days so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I have a (cl...