Navigation using a GPX file - advice for a newbie, please!

3 watchers
Jul 2019
11:12am, 30 Jul 2019
28,710 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I've entered a trail race where it seems to be acknowledged that signage on the ground may be a bit sparse. The organiser has made available a gpx file on strava the intention being that it can be used for navigation.

I will have an iPhone 6s and a Garmin 235 with me. The iPhone has Garmin Connect and strava apps on it. I have also downloaded the Viewranger app, but haven't used it before.

What are my options? Which app should I use and how do I get the gpx file into it? How do I use it on the day?

(I am conscious that battery life on the iPhone may be an issue too and have an Anker pack ready to go.)
Jul 2019
11:18am, 30 Jul 2019
3,245 posts
  •  
StuH
Of those 3 apps I prefer Viewranger using OS or Opencycle maps. I think the strava app uses google maps which is going to be next to useless for trails.
Jul 2019
11:19am, 30 Jul 2019
3,246 posts
  •  
StuH
The 235 doesn't support navigation does it?
Jul 2019
11:28am, 30 Jul 2019
28,711 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Er, not as standard, no, but I have just found this thread which may be helpful.

fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=59882

I guess that would mean I wouldn't need to use the phone at all, which would be a good outcome.
jda
Jul 2019
11:50am, 30 Jul 2019
4,874 posts
  •  
jda
Actually, it seems there is an app "dwMap" that enables simple route following on the 235. I have only just installed this and haven't used it in anger but it seems to do what you'd expect. Just took a few mins to put on an GPX route of this morning's run and it shows up on the screen with navigation arrow. A bit of a learning curve to set up if you aren't already familiar with apps on the 235 etc. and you only get the bare bones of the route and no real map per se.

I've also used GPX routes on the outdoors GPS app on the phone which gives a full OS map which is superior for knowing where junctions, summits, other features are of course. Viewranger is probably similar, I bought this one as it came with a big set of OS maps for national parks at a good price and I live in one of them!
jda
Jul 2019
11:50am, 30 Jul 2019
4,875 posts
  •  
jda
snap. Puzzled that I hadn't found that app previously as it seems to have been around for years.
Jul 2019
12:14pm, 30 Jul 2019
28,712 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Thanks, both. Using the Garmin rather than a phone seems like a better option for several reasons and the dwMap app sounds like just the thing. I'll have a practice this evening!
Jul 2019
12:23pm, 30 Jul 2019
8,240 posts
  •  
larkim
dwMap is great, I use it reasonably regularly. In fact, if I refer I get a commission :-) for those signing up for the pro version. It certainly stops you from missing a turn etc. on a route you're not familiar with and saves you having to take a phone with you, or even a physical map.

Feel free to click or not on this link which would gain me $2.50 credit against my premium membership if you sign up dynamic.watch

Things to get right in the setup (IMHO):-
- settings for the display are configured on the website only I think
- have the setting (amendable on the dynamic.watch website only) clicked "track up" so that the watch's display of the route is always going forward for you, rather than locked to North
- check before you set off that the right map is sync'd to the watch
- zoom in by swiping on the screen of your watch to get a sensible level of detail so that you can see, say, 200m ahead where the next turn is

Battery life is slightly reduced when using that app vs using the normal tracking on your watch, but that's only really an issue if you're going for a very long run.

Saving the run when you've finished is not (IMHO!) entirely intuitive - every time I fear I'm about to lose the activity! On my watch I press the normal "stop" button, and the screen then says "paused", I then have to hit the "back" button and am presented with "Save and Exit", so obviously you tick the green tick to save and exit. It will then sync as normal to Garmin Connect etc.
Jul 2019
12:40pm, 30 Jul 2019
3,096 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
"zoom in by swiping on the screen of your watch" - I assume you have a touchscreen watch larks ?

Synge has a Garmin 235, swiping on that will do bugger all. I'm guessing the + and - buttons on the bottom left will zoom in/out, but not sure as never used the dw app
Jul 2019
12:50pm, 30 Jul 2019
8,241 posts
  •  
larkim
LOL, yes - funny, I presumed they all were touchscreen! Yes, I'm on a Vivoactive.

I think on mine swiping up and down goes through zoom levels, swiping left and right goes through the different pages (breadcrumb navigation, direction arrows, run data).

About This Thread

Maintained by ♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Map and compass chap at heart needs to understand how to use gpx files for navigation.