Navicual Accessory bone

1 watcher
Jun 2011
9:09pm, 23 Jun 2011
14 posts
  •  
buzby123
has anyone any experience of this?
I changed my trainers a couple of months ago and almost instantly started to get some pain in my right foot. I do run through it and it only happens when I wear said trainers and not normal shoes. At first I thought it was just rubbing of the trainers and I simply move the tongue of the trainers round to rest on the raised bone area.

Only after googling have I realised this is an extra bone and most people don't have it at all. It seems its hereditary and linked to fallen arches (my mum).

So, my question is, do I need treatment? Will continuing to run create problems later on in life? I have just got a good training plan going whereby training is upped to 4 times a week with most runs at around 7 to 8 miles each.
Jun 2011
9:10pm, 23 Jun 2011
15 posts
  •  
buzby123
*Navicular* Bone !!!
Jun 2011
9:29pm, 23 Jun 2011
20,584 posts
  •  
cabletow
are you sure you have one -is only one of your feet flat - have you had an xray to confirm - it could be Kohlers disease or even insertional posterior tibial tendinitis. Accessory navicular bones are rarely painful.

you need to stretch the outside of the ankle and you need to increase the flexibility of the ankle so you allow the tibia to ratate over the ankle rather than fixing it and levering the heel up over the ball of the foot.

Floppy ankles

as a relaxed tendon cannot pull against a bone
Jun 2011
8:26pm, 24 Jun 2011
16 posts
  •  
buzby123
I don't have a formal diagnosis, gone by the power of google which is always dangerous. It doesn't hurt all the time, only when wearing my trainers as they are higher up than any other shoes I have and rest on the bone. I will look up the other things you suggest it could be.

There are suggestions that people with this extra bone who are offered orthotics tend to go worse with the orthotics. My new trainers are a Nike structured from a Nike Equalon, just wondering if that step up in support is aggravating the condition?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by buzby123
has anyone any experience of this?
I changed my trainers a couple of months ago and almost instantl...