National Novel Writing Month

32 watchers
Nov 2016
11:32am, 1 Nov 2016
7,795 posts
  •  
Badger
I made the terrible mistake of editing an obvious contradiction between chapter 1 and chapter 2 last year... and never got past chapter 2.
Nov 2020
3:49pm, 1 Nov 2020
450 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Is anyone giving this a go this year? [Apologies if I've managed to overlook a newer thread everyone else has piled into.] I've been getting emails about it and hadn't planned to take part, but today I decided there's no time like the present!

My track record on this is not great - I hit the target once many years ago but wasn't happy with the end result, and have had a few false starts on other attempts.

So I have a document at the ready, and two words already written - only 49,998 still to go! Will now spend the next few ours resizing the font and page parameters...
Nov 2020
6:10pm, 1 Nov 2020
451 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
If it's just me this year, I'll probably avoid having a conversation with myself, but for now am happy to report a reasonable start at least. Currently about 400 words shy of my target for the day, but knocked out a short first chapter/prologue that set the scene quite nicely. I think I might be writing a horror story, but I'm not entirely sure yet - it could probably descend into farce at any moment.
Nov 2020
10:04pm, 1 Nov 2020
553 posts
  •  
Gogsy!
I’m in FC ... hoping to do better than the 25k I hit last year, although I did carry on & reached 50k in January, finishing the novel in April.
(WW1 saga about three brothers from a Scottish farm that join up & head to France. This year’s project is the sequel.)
Nov 2020
10:16pm, 1 Nov 2020
38,310 posts
  •  
Purps
I'd half forgotten about this. I might give it a go again. Will see how tomorrow goes.
Nov 2020
10:18pm, 1 Nov 2020
12,983 posts
  •  
Badger
Hmm. I have music overdubs to do, but I quite fancy the idea of picking up 2016's attempt again.
Nov 2020
10:33pm, 1 Nov 2020
455 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Good to hear there may be a few others on board, and good luck all!

My problem with anything I’ve ever written is I start off with an idea I’m happy with and then kind of lose my way and get bogged down in all the detail - then I end up putting it to the side and starting something new instead. My NaNoWriMo tale for this year has taken shape from a few loosely related ideas I once had but didn’t really explore much, so I’m hoping that will take the story in some interesting directions.
Nov 2020
3:12pm, 2 Nov 2020
459 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
2400 words so far, and currently about 900 adrift - I remember from previous years how quickly that gap can get so much wider and suddenly seem unreachable. But back when I last tried it, I hadn't cottoned on to using my mobile phone to write things on the go and email myself - I've found that makes a huge difference!
Nov 2020
5:03pm, 2 Nov 2020
54,429 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Started from scratch this afternoon and managed about 2800 words. (I was trying to catch up for having missed a day yesterday).
Nov 2020
7:55pm, 2 Nov 2020
461 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Nice one Dio. I haven't managed anything since my earlier post, so will try to make up for it before lights out. I don't like the tool on the website currently projecting a completion date of December 12th already!

About This Thread

Maintained by Mikuro
Nanowrimo! nanowrimo.org - join the site and join the group!
BEGINS 1st of NOVEMBER, ENDS 30th of NOVEMBER!

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.<br>

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.<br>

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down....