My training schedual.

1 watcher
Mar 2012
11:08am, 4 Mar 2012
26 posts
  •  
darting
Hi,

My training for the Dorset marathon on 6 May is going well but I could do with some advice. I have been using the runners world marathon plan from the January issue ( subscription issued Nov 2011)and it seems to be good for me but I havent timed it well to end on 'marathon day'. I have 4 spare weeks from the date the plan finishes until race day and am not sure what to do for the best.

Should I just repeat the last four weeks of the session or as the last two weeks of the plan (week 12/13) are tapering repeat the higher milage weeks and then end with the week 12/13 plan?

This is my first marathon and I really dont want to mess up what would you all do?

Darting
Mar 2012
11:15am, 4 Mar 2012
4,122 posts
  •  
Bez-head
I wouldnt repeat the highest mileage weeks. better to have an easier week then a harder week then taper. dont forget the training is designed to just about break you for you to then recover and feel fresh for race day. Listen to your body. Dont put pressure on yourself just aim to finish and enjoy it. You will get a PB anyway :-)
Mar 2012
11:16am, 4 Mar 2012
4,123 posts
  •  
Bez-head
Next time dont start the plan too early ;-)
Mar 2012
11:31am, 4 Mar 2012
27 posts
  •  
darting
Yeah.. lesson learned there! The highest milage was about 30- 34 miles/ week with long runs of 13 - 20 miles and all of these went well. If I've done the hard work maybe I should keep the week day speed, hill and easy runs but take the long runs down 9 to 12 and begin to ease up before tapering?

Does that sound ok?
Mar 2012
11:52am, 4 Mar 2012
4,125 posts
  •  
Bez-head
Repeat a few weeks from the middle of the plan then follow the plan until marathon. that way you should get your taper ok without doing too many long long runs. takes approx one month to recover from a marathon so remember a 20 mile is not far off a marathon so recovery is v important. take care with speed sessions as speaking from experience tired muscles dont like speed and can injure.
Mar 2012
12:48pm, 4 Mar 2012
28 posts
  •  
darting
Good advice cheers

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hi,

My training for the Dorset marathon on 6 May is going well but I could do with some advice. I...