BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

My little toe destroys running shoes

2 watchers
Apr 2013
8:30am, 24 Apr 2013
12032 posts
  •  
Discovery Dave
Help me, Fetchverse...

I am currently wearing through the uppers of my running shoes at an alarming rate. My last three pairs of Inov-8 trail shoes, and a pair of Brooks Green Silence have ALL quickly developed a hole near my right little toe. The Brooks and my previous Inov-8s both within about 100 miles (which was quickly enough that I sent them back). My current Inov-8s lasted about 215.

I've tried changing sizes, styles and shapes of shoe (I've put holes in size 9 Roclite 320s and 295s and now size 8.5 Trailroc 255s); the only difference is that in the smaller shoe the hole is above the joint in my toe, not at the end of it... so it seems to be more about how the shoe is folding as I run.

I really don't know what to do now. Should I only be looking at shoes which are reinforced in that particular area? Should I start pre-emptively taping my shoes? Are my feet likely to be unusually fat or thin? (They're on the wide side, but nothing freakish, and I always feel like I have plenty of room in the toe box) Is there a problem with my running style that's so far outside the range of normal human movement that it destroys shoes that would last a normal person 1000 miles?

So far I have asked a local retailer to look at the shoes and how I run (suggested changing to the new anatomical last, and going down half a size - which feels brilliantly comfortable, but the hole has still happened), and I've asked Inov-8 (who said "we've tested these with many more miles than that, you must be really hard on your shoes" and "try using a higher or lower footbed to increase or reduce space in the toe box" - trial and error? really?).

Any constructive suggestions warmly received.

For the record, I absolutely adore my Trailrocs. Most comfiest, responsivest, skip-nimbly-through-muddy-tree-roots-like-a-mountain-goatiest shoes I've ever had.
Apr 2013
8:31am, 24 Apr 2013
2806 posts
  •  
Pestomum
you have 9 other toes...
Apr 2013
8:33am, 24 Apr 2013
12034 posts
  •  
Discovery Dave
None of the other toes make holes.

Well, not as quickly. I do get something similar on my left foot, but it takes longer to appear.
Apr 2013
8:41am, 24 Apr 2013
66642 posts
  •  
GregP
There is biblical precedent in Matthew 5:30, although to be fair this deals with hands rather than toes:

"And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell".
Apr 2013
8:48am, 24 Apr 2013
66644 posts
  •  
GregP
You could try dipping the toe in ram's blood?

"Then shalt thou kill the ram, and take of his blood, and put it upon the tip of the great toe of their right foot, and sprinkle the blood upon the altar round about". (Ex 29:20a, c)
Apr 2013
8:53am, 24 Apr 2013
2807 posts
  •  
Pestomum
^^^ I meant that. And now jesus has told you too.
Apr 2013
8:55am, 24 Apr 2013
66646 posts
  •  
GregP
I thiink we should give Moses' idea a go first.
Apr 2013
9:09am, 24 Apr 2013
12039 posts
  •  
Discovery Dave
Yeah, that's one of the reasons Jesus and I aren't talking just now.
Apr 2013
9:16am, 24 Apr 2013
11043 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Pair of bolt cutters should do the job. Just run them under the hot tap and they'll be sterile enough.

Have you thought about your socks? Some have really chunky seams that sit on top of the toes and might be contributing to more wear.
Apr 2013
9:23am, 24 Apr 2013
12916 posts
  •  
MissChappo
Cut your toenails?

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Dave
Help me, Fetchverse...

I am currently wearing through the uppers of my running shoes at an alarmi...