28 watchers
Mar 2011
11:45am, 11 Mar 2011
850 posts
  •  
Wazelle the Gazelle
I am not really understanding what to take;

food, drinks, gels
dry clothes and shoes for after ....at moment it is looking like cylce will be done in running shoes
wet wipes/ wet flannel, so I don't stink so much in car home
wetsuit hat and goggles
will buy a tri belt

phone, asthma pump, vaseline, tissues and plasters
bin bag to put wet kit/wetsuit
Tool to adjust bike
I suppose I ought to take spare tube, repair kit and pump...dubious of value, since lack skill to do the deed.
money

What else???
Mar 2011
11:52am, 11 Mar 2011
43,693 posts
  •  
GregP
My rucksack has a checklist, as has Gale Bernhardt's excellent book - I tend to check both, as they are slightly different and it forces me to do it.

Once you have your list (the one that works for you personally) suggest you *laminate it*.

It is a race belt. See The Rules.

Bike computer. Body glide or baby oil (vaseline is petrol based and doesn't mix well with rubber). Baby wipes/wet wipes are a great call. Take many. Disinfectant (hand wash) gel. Talcum powder. Transition towel (the brightest, loudest one you can find).

Race license or some form of photo ID.
Mar 2011
11:57am, 11 Mar 2011
23,176 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
YES waz lol and more :)

swim run
Mar 2011
11:59am, 11 Mar 2011
41,129 posts
  •  
Gobi
blimey, this is why people need a box

Keep it simple,

Eat breakfast before you leave

You will need your Asthma pump

Put race clothes on and put body glide with wetsuit in car with goggles/ hat(when you arrive put the bodyglide on)

Bike with bottle on it with drink in it (forget tube etc buy some tyre gunk that you just pump in and tape it to the bike, tape a gel to the top tube) Helmet

Move bike to the transition with wetsuit on the bars

What do you plan to adjust on your bike?

Does it matter if you smell in your car?

I would take a towel and dry clothes although amazing how often you are dry by the end of a tri and just drive home as you are.
Mar 2011
12:01pm, 11 Mar 2011
540 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
How much for a rucksack?! :-0

These are my waterproof compartments:

amazon.co.uk
Mar 2011
12:05pm, 11 Mar 2011
41,133 posts
  •  
Gobi
I use jogging to the car and back as part of my warmup, have a big plastic box if really desperate
Mar 2011
12:05pm, 11 Mar 2011
23,177 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Ok Food banana/energy bar 30-60 mins before the swim. If you are doing a sprint then I would say water only. Olympic maybe a few gels. Afterwards Recovery drink/bar.

Wet Wipes yes

Wetsuit YES they normally supply you with hat (you make want to take a spare if it's cold). Body Glide.

Trisuit, Tri belt yes think where you want it i.e on handlebar undone whatever.

all your bits etc yes.

Bin bag yes

Tool and bike stuff YES put in a little seat bag under saddle. Not repair kit in a sprint not worth repairing just get one of those magic foam kits. Only worth repairing Olympic distance up. Talc for bike shoes to soak up water. Shoes ON or OFF bike (I suggest off until you've got a few under your belt mine are still OFF). Helmet where. Towel yes a LOUD one.

Run talc in shoe, elastic laces also get Tri specific shoe so you don't need socks I learned the hard way cut feet up in Skylons now have KSwiss KonaS
Mar 2011
12:06pm, 11 Mar 2011
43,695 posts
  •  
GregP
Never done the August midweek sprint at Dorney PoD, have you?
Mar 2011
12:07pm, 11 Mar 2011
41,134 posts
  •  
Gobi
Bin Bag ?
Tools on the bike? I'm racing if I blow out it is all over unless we are talking half Ironman or longer
Mar 2011
12:08pm, 11 Mar 2011
12,497 posts
  •  
macca53
I'm way behind you wazzer. This is my list (and it's for a sprint so I'm not expecting to eat or drink during the event):

trisuit/goggles/swim hat
talc/towel/tribelt
shoes
bike/helmet

everything else will stay in the car
BUT do i need a receptacle at both T1 and T2???

About This Thread

Maintained by rparker
I am racing in my first Tri in July, got conned into it by someone in work! The only problem is I h...