My first ever race! (Advice / Tips welcome)

4 watchers
Apr 2013
1:25pm, 25 Apr 2013
28,662 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I do believe someone use to go round the marathon playing when the saints go marching in !!!
Apr 2013
1:59pm, 25 Apr 2013
919 posts
  •  
Endorphins Junky
Wow, so many replies, so quickly - thanks everyone. Some good tips and advice, will be sure to utilise them.

And I was planning to write up my first race experience as a blog as well.

Have to say I'm not very musical so I think I'll give the oboe a miss ..............
Apr 2013
11:20pm, 25 Apr 2013
119 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
I'm looking forward to seeing your report on Sunday! Good luck!

Oboes are a bit large to drag around the track (better than a cello though); try the piccolo.
Apr 2013
11:30pm, 25 Apr 2013
6,445 posts
  •  
RichHL
Rock up. Tie your laces. Run like fuck. Have fun.

You'll probably do the same race for years to come but you'll never do it again for the first time so relax and enjoy it.
Apr 2013
9:17am, 26 Apr 2013
903 posts
  •  
RedBen
On no account try a bassoon either! The neck strap will chaffe horribly.

I'd second the getting there early thing as it will certainly take time to orientate yourself and the atmosphere is usually good too. I always, even for 10ks, used vaseline on all the "usual areas" even when running without a bassoon!

And enjoy it, really enjoy it as there's nothing like your first one.
Apr 2013
9:29am, 26 Apr 2013
2,468 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Enjoy it EJ! If the course is the same as when I ran it a couple of years ago it's not the easiest 10k, plenty of twists and turns and a couple of sharp inclines, but it's well supported and great fun.

Drink in the atmosphere and enjoy the experience. You never get a second shot at a first race.
Apr 2013
9:33am, 26 Apr 2013
4,021 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Run too fast/slow at the start, run too fast/slow in the middle, run too fast/slow at the end, generally faff before the start, more or less make a complete hash of it, oodles of post race analysis, bore your OH to tears, and then write a blog and bore us too tears.

That's what we all do.
Apr 2013
9:54am, 26 Apr 2013
12,715 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
Take a saxophone rather than an oboe!
Apr 2013
9:57am, 26 Apr 2013
14,141 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I am unbelievably preoccupied with purging my system before a run. Scope out opportunities on the way to the race venue which will have proper toilets. It's the only reason I ever use McDonalds, for instance.

You will, however, arouse suspicion if you go in there with your oboe.
Apr 2013
10:00am, 26 Apr 2013
10,325 posts
  •  
jennywren
Penny whistle if you must ;)

Reiterate, number on your front. Always tell a newbie by the number pinned to their back.

About This Thread

Maintained by Endorphins Junky
So, my first ever race is on Sunday – the Sunderland 10k.

What advice / tips can my fellow Fetc...