My Fetch Mile

56 watchers
Feb 2020
3:25pm, 11 Feb 2020
23,327 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I'm guessing that at least some of you (a) don't read my blog, and (b) don't read the weekly newsletter, and (c) don't look at the home page - so this thread's for you :-)

I'm scrapping the 'Checkpoints' system in favour of a new approach.

Check out the Fetch Mile map: fetcheveryone.com/mile.php

You can create a mile from any of your training entries. You can do as many as you like, in fact. Plaster your whole town with them! Just look for the 'Build A Mile' link just above the map on any of your training entries.

Each mile comes with a leaderboard and a guestbook. Rather than solely being about climbing a leaderboard, I also hope that people will share miles that have interesting qualities e.g. nice views. There's a badge for creating your first mile, and there'll be badges for collecting miles that don't belong to you. When you visit a particular mile for the first time, you'll get a notification, and if you beat your time at a mile, that'll also trigger a notification.
Feb 2020
3:37pm, 11 Feb 2020
68,550 posts
  •  
Gobi
I read your blog sometimes and read the newsletter but obviously skim bits as I have no idea what the 'checkpoints" system you are scraping is.

I feel so embarrassed :¬)
Feb 2020
3:41pm, 11 Feb 2020
68,551 posts
  •  
Gobi
I have created a mile :¬)
Feb 2020
3:43pm, 11 Feb 2020
23,328 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Lol, no-one would have known ;-)

So you can forget what little you knew about checkpoints - but just in case anyone is genuinely curious, they were automatically generated points on the map, and you could register your times between pairs of them. But they were often generated in stupid positions, and they were a bit buggy.

If I said that the new system was a little bit like what they have on that other website (I don't know for sure, I won't go there), then that might explain it.
Feb 2020
3:44pm, 11 Feb 2020
23,329 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
We'll have those stabilisers off in no time ;-)
Feb 2020
3:45pm, 11 Feb 2020
68,553 posts
  •  
Gobi
Patience, I'm new here :¬)
Feb 2020
3:48pm, 11 Feb 2020
34,142 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol at Gobi "new here"! :-O

They're really cool Fetch. And like mini "routes" a great thing to look out for if you're going on hols or route planning in a new area. :-) G
Feb 2020
3:50pm, 11 Feb 2020
23,330 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I am hoping that we'll get a bit of a snowball effect, the more we create. Runners who are unaware will stumble through one, and get a notification, and hopefully make some of their own.
Feb 2020
3:52pm, 11 Feb 2020
302 posts
  •  
riggsy99
Do the miles work in both directions or will it only record if you run it in the direction it was created (i.e if the mile is on a loop and set up clockwise will it still record has been run if done anti clockwise)
Feb 2020
3:53pm, 11 Feb 2020
68,555 posts
  •  
Gobi
Do they work on the bike as well ?

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Come and see our growing database of special miles:

fetcheveryone.com/mile.php

How do I add a Fetch Mile?
Go to any entry in your training log, and look for the Build A Mile link just above the map. Click that, and drag the slider to highlight the relevant mile. Give it a name and a description, and save it!

Fetch's To Do List
6) Some way of picking up your historical visits
9) A way to see your own miles
11) Badges for creators and visitors
12) Everything else.

Fetch's Done List
1) Make run and bike into separate leaderboard tables
3) Ability to add an image.
2) A 'Back' button that returns you to the last-viewed area rather than home
4) Elevation graph
5) Larger clickable area for individual miles
7) Jump To Location box for easier navigation