My easy runs are really threshold pace?!

9 watchers
Feb 2019
3:06pm, 25 Feb 2019
6,791 posts
  •  
larkim
2 min/mile faster intervals than parkrun pace sounds a little challenging! Even if we're only talking 200m intervals or similar, there's no way I could get close to 4min/mile when I'm parkrunning at 6min/mile (at my very best - not currently!).

When converted to seconds instead, 540s (9min/mile) to 420s (7min/mile) is 120s faster - 22%. For a 6minute miler, 360s would suggest 280s per mile, I'm not certain I could achieve 4m40 either.

I'd say if 9min/mile is your parkrun pace, 7:50-8:00 for fast intervals (400m or shorter), 8m30 for 400m-1200m intervals would seem better.

Agree with easy runs at 11min/mile though. Or run to a heart rate schedule and ignore pace for long runs.
Feb 2019
3:58pm, 25 Feb 2019
30,478 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Slowby, and welcome to Fetch threads!

Everyone has said it very eloquently above. Slow runs slower is for aerobic system - you can run longer, at a consistent pace, if you run slower.

I don't see any "intervals" or other speed work in your recent training. Do you do much / any of that? Running 6, 8 or 10 miles at your "normal" 9-10 min mile pace won't be so easy if you've just tried to do sprints the day before at 8 mins per mile!

Or put it another way, another benefit of doing your longer, and general runs, more slowly, is to be able to blast it much faster in your shorter, speed-focussed, work.

Usual structure most plans would be - 1 x long run (much slower than your "ave" pace e.g. 11s for you?), 2 - 3 "general" runs (still slower than your 5K pace e.g. 10s for you) and 2 x speed work (at faster than your 5K pace e.g. 8s or less for you).

The speed of your speed work is another whole topic. Jump back in here or elsewhere if you want more suggestions on length of intervals and paces for different types of speed benefit. Good luck! luck :-) G
Feb 2019
3:59pm, 25 Feb 2019
30,479 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That "2 x speed work..." above was a typo, I meant 1 x. However, there are actually different types of speed work, so as you seem to do 5 or more runs a week, you could possibly fit in 2 x speed work, if you wanted. Shout for explanation, if required! :-) G
Feb 2019
4:14pm, 25 Feb 2019
16,509 posts
  •  
Chrisity
Having had many years of struggling with Achilles Tendon, Calf and Hamstring problems i have found that the best training for me is to do lots of slow miles (about 40 a week at 9.00 to 10.00 min, terrain variable) with one fast session (say 6x3 mins at 6.30 pace, hills or a fast 5k parkrun at 6.50 pace) and a few 8 min miles (in either a long run or maybe a club 5 miles). Off this i have done 1.36 for a half marathon and 45 min for a 10k.

Your slow miles should be conversation pace and consistent, don't start off too fast
Feb 2019
6:28pm, 25 Feb 2019
17,262 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I wasn't suggesting everyone runs intervals at parkrunpace - 2 mins larkim! Specific to slowby at his paces. 9 > 7 is plainly not equivalent to 6 > 4, 4:40 would be more like it, up to 200m.

Basing it on my own experiences with particular reference to some intervals pre Fetch Mile last year. When I was parkrunning about 9:40 a mile (hilly course though) and short intervalling in high temperatures at 7 to 7:30. Mile, on the hottest day of the year, was 7:54 (which I was delighted with).

If you have access to a track or a similar circuit, progressive is good. Start at your easy run pace, increase each lap until you reach your fast pace. Recover and repeat. Possibly several times.
Feb 2019
8:41am, 26 Feb 2019
6,801 posts
  •  
larkim
Fair enough Dvorak - though my wife, who is capable of parkrunning at about 9min/mile can't get anywhere near 7:30 pace for a short interval; her legs simply don't go that fast, even for 100m, hence my reservation about the gap between parkrun pace and short interval pace.
Feb 2019
7:14pm, 26 Feb 2019
7 posts
  •  
slowby
Thanks all so much for the detailed help - I went out yesterday and did 7 miles at 11.15 pace and it was very slow (had trouble not going faster) but a whole different kind of exercise that I'm not used to. So I've got it now - I was off injured for a long time, and came back expecting to do what I did previously, except my base had turned into my threshold, and I never got the base back! So I've got some work to do now.

So can I ask another one please! I'm just starting the Runners World sub 2.15 half marathon runnersworld.com and would like to beat my previous 2.10. Does the plan look sensible or is there a better one you would recommend? It gives me 3 days off every week and I would like to do more on those days - slow and easy since i have been neglecting that, right? With 12 weeks of that 5 or 6 days a week, what should I aim for in the half (19 May) (and what sort of effect will that have on 5k times?)
Feb 2019
10:19pm, 26 Feb 2019
1,048 posts
  •  
oumaumau
I've only got you training log on here to go by, bare that in mind.
The RW plan has a lot of quicker running in it, and has 3 10k races in a 12 week build up. This is quite a high training load, compared to what you appear to have been doing. Adding more volume to this would increase your risk of injury - but it's only risk...
For my money, and with your apparent training history, I'd look to do 4 sessions a week for the first 4 weeks - with the emphasis on running easy - 1x faster session (intervals or parkrun), 1x longer run (10k+) and 2x easy (10:30 m/m +).
If this all goes swimmingly, then consider adding another easy session for the next four weeks.
Again if this all goes well, you could try swapping 1 of your easy runs for another faster session, and a 10k race 2-3 weeks out to test your progress. The outcome of the 10k race (or a time trial 10k) will tell you what's achievable in your half.

If you keep your easy runs easy, then you *should* see your 5k times coming down after 2-3 weeks as your base fitness improves, by how much - only time will tell.
Feb 2019
12:28pm, 27 Feb 2019
6,822 posts
  •  
larkim
I remember that trouble - and still have it from time to time - of itching to go faster because you know you can.

Running slower just creates different (but better) adaptations to your aerobic system that are then more beneficial during the faster runs, especially the longer faster ones. When I get it right, I now enjoy getting back to my front door after 7-10 miles with barely a sweat on and not breathing heavily at all - take me back 4 or 5 years and every run would have ended up with me panting on the doorstep!

I'd back up oumaumau's view about too much volume creating an injury risk - it doesn't mean you will get injured, but the likelihood increases. And rest is very important.

Most plans are much of a muchness - the key for me is always "Is that a level of activity that I can sustain in the plan" when balanced against home / work commitments etc. There's no point committing to a 6/7 day per week plan if you only have 3-4 slots to run in or a family which will cause you stress if you're not around as much!

Well reputed alternatives might be the Hal Higdon plans - halhigdon.com but I really like oumaumau's suggestion of breaking the 12 weeks down into 3 four week cycles - and if you really are injury free, slotting a few extra very easy 3 mile runs on empty days as and when you feel like it will do no harm whatsoever.
Mar 2019
8:42am, 1 Mar 2019
8 posts
  •  
slowby
Thanks all for your help! I'm getting used to the pace but quite often find myself trying to go faster. I'm using a heart rate monitor to keep it all under control now.

About This Thread

Maintained by slowby
Are my easy runs too fast? What't the advantage of slowing down?