Music (Recommendations, reviews, discussions, live, lessons, everything to do with music!)

7 watchers
Mar 2014
7:38am, 28 Mar 2014
208 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
Joopsy, I flippin love(d) the white stripes so I'll be checking that band out for sure. They were a band I never got to see live. I had tickets for a gig in Glasgow once and they cancelled because Meg white had anxiety issues. They never rescheduled that tour and then they split up. I'm gutted to this day!

Paul, I'll check out that album cheers.
Apr 2014
9:55pm, 1 Apr 2014
218 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
Just treating myself to a bunch of new music :) I spend about £20-30 a month on new tunes and it's always exciting stuff getting the new tunes in. Could the next album be the next album I absolutely fall in love with? Am I going to discover an amazing new band who's music I had never heard of before? Sometimes there's disappointment, but often there is joy!

There was a while I was considering paying a subscription to spotify, but I love music so much that I didn't want to be tied into having to pay them money FOREVER in order to keep the music that I love.

I've bought myself an EP by a Brightonian fella called Leon Vynehall that got a recommendation from resident advisor as being lush, air esque, house music. There were a lot of other references to other eletronic artists I have enjoyed over the years in their review, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I got the Royal Blood single Little Monster. They don't seem to have an album out yet so I thought i'd sample this single to see how they sound. Didn't realise that they too are also from Brighton (or formed in Worthing to be more precise).

Got an album by Ibibio Sound Machine for something a bit different, a bit of African-electro-funk! I'm hoping it might be a good choice for the summer.

Got a bit of classic Wu-Tang hip-hop, one of the solo offerings by Ghostface, "Ironman". Always good to listen to the Wu at a time when they were at their strongest.

Got an album by a band called Timber Timbre called "Hot Dreams" which according to the Guardian sounds like a "the soundtrack to a Western directed by David Lynch". Should be interesting if nothing else.

And finally, I got the new War on Drugs album. I had a wee listen to it on Spotify free a while ago and quite liked the sound so thought i'd spend a little more time with it.

That should be enough new music for this month. I'll let you know what I think of my new purchases.

Sadly, I don't have any live gigs lined up, but I'm hoping to catch this Ibibio sound machine at the Brighton festival for an "African dance party". I think that could be a good excuse to have a knees up and a good drink!
Apr 2014
9:59pm, 1 Apr 2014
219 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
jesus, i almost pissed my pants. I've just received an email announcing that jack white has a new album scheduled for release!!!! YES!!!! Thought his last one was a cracker and it was great to get the chance to go and see him live a couple of times. He was fuckin' excellent, especially at the hammersmith apollo (got right down the front!). Although his sound his a bit more refined than the white stripes days, having added a wider repertoire of instruments to his music (and i think that took AWAY from the old white stripes numbers actually), he still knows how to rock the house with some scathing guitar riffs! I'll be pre-ordering that bad boy fo'sho!
Apr 2014
10:03pm, 1 Apr 2014
220 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
Here's some music from it. Sounds interesting. An alt-country/rock/noise instrumental track. I'm even getting a feel of a bit of the chemical brothers from that intro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRbnAxrS3EM&feature=youtu.be
Apr 2014
10:09pm, 1 Apr 2014
20,588 posts
  •  
Dave A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDx6nHExwRw

Cannot recommend Tom McRae enough. Fantastic singer/songwriter. Gets better every listen and improves every album :-)
Apr 2014
7:47am, 9 Apr 2014
236 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
I'm going to check out that Tom McRae Dave. Sounds like he might be worth a listen based on your recommendations.

Of the albums I've bought I've managed to have a decent listen to timber timbre and ibibio sound machine.

The former I am really, really enjoying. The reviewer who said it sounded like the soundtrack to a western written by David Lynch wasn't wrong. You can really see what he's getting at. It sounds uplifting in turns, and sinister at others. There are instrumental only tracks, but most have lyrics and unlike most "soundtracks" it doesn't feel lacking something without the visuals. It succeeds in painting images for you. I can also hear influences of Nicolas jaar and early portishead in there. At first listen I thought it was a bit underwhelming, but it is growing on me very quickly with each subsequent listen. Great for chilling out to. Recommended.

Ibibio Sound Machine is a bit different. It's African electro-funk-disco. Obviously I can't understand a word of what's being said, but it is a nice sounding album. Not as energetic as I was hoping for, but it would be a good one to have on in the sunshine at an outdoor party. My main criticism is that it's too short. Only 39mins! Other than that, it's worth a listen.
Aug 2014
10:08pm, 9 Aug 2014
263 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
Has anyone heard the new La Roux album? It's a decent slice of classic pop. Isn't all good, but the ones that are good are very good.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Perfect Organism
Just thought I'd open a new forum for us to discuss music in a bit more detail than "what are you ...