Music (Recommendations, reviews, discussions, live, lessons, everything to do with music!)

7 watchers
Mar 2014
9:27am, 19 Mar 2014
190 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
Just thought I'd open a new forum for us to discuss music in a bit more detail than "what are you listening to" followed by a link to a you tube video.

Some music I've bought recently includes the latest st Vincent and four tet albums. The former is lovely avant-grade pop, while the latter is definitely four tet but with a bit more edge than I've heard before. It's more "ravey" and less "relaxed" but im glad to see this album is as cohesive as his last "There is love in you".

Also I've been plugging away at the guitar lessons and seem to improve a little bit each day.

What has everyone else been listening to and why? What live gigs had you got coming up? Do you play any instruments?
Mar 2014
9:37am, 19 Mar 2014
25,190 posts
  •  
Frobester
I have my MP3 player on "random play all" on my drives to work (generally 45 mins in each direction) which throws up a lovely plethora of oft-forgotten tracks, in no particular order. This morning it threw up one I'd not heard for years, and on arriving at my destination, I stayed in the car, and not only listened to the end of it (a further 4 minutes after 1 minute in) but played it once again in its entirety.

The track? Alphabet Street, by Prince. Hidden gem, I think you'd call it, possibly on account of its age, but it's another track that points to his instrumental and arrangement virtuosity, and ability to design a rhythm I'd defy anyone not to shake their backside too.

As regards gigs, I'm going to a local ceilidh on Saturday, and we're taking the kids to a couple of concerts they've asked to see for their birthdays - the eldest wants to see the Backstreet Boys, and the youngest wants to see McBusted. I think I've been luckier in that I'm taking the youngest to McBusted - I think if I'd gone to the Backstreet Boys one I'd probably have not only been the only dad there, I'd probably also have been the only male.

I used to play the violin, both classically and folksily, and my eldest is following in my footsteps, at least classically (she takes her Grade 1 later this year) - and looks like she'll be turning into a decent runner, too!
Mar 2014
10:09am, 19 Mar 2014
731 posts
  •  
Fitz
I listen to a few dance music podcasts - Defected and Ibiza Spotlight being my faves. Usually I listen to them once and then delete. But one has got me hooked:

Ibiza Spotlight SPTLMIX005: Paul Reynolds. 65 minutes of 70s / 80s disco-infused dance music that is just wonderful. Features snippets of Neneh Cherry and Malcolm McLaren (Buffalo Stance -> Buffalo Girls!).

Heartily recommended.
Mar 2014
10:13am, 19 Mar 2014
25,194 posts
  •  
Frobester
Interesting, where can that be found, Fitz?
Mar 2014
11:17am, 19 Mar 2014
732 posts
  •  
Fitz
It's available on iTunes, Frobes. Search for "Ibiza Spotlight" and then SPTLMIX005. It was released in Jan 2014.
Mar 2014
11:18am, 19 Mar 2014
25,195 posts
  •  
Frobester
Sorry, I've not bought into all that iStuff. But cheers for the recommendation anyway, I'll see if I can source it elsewhere.
Mar 2014
11:20am, 19 Mar 2014
25,196 posts
  •  
Frobester
Ah, it's on Mixcloud.
Mar 2014
11:34am, 19 Mar 2014
8,648 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Stuart Staples is one of the great, under-rated voices in music.

Probably not one for the Ipod when trying to keep the tempo high in a brutal and intensive interval session though.
Mar 2014
11:44am, 19 Mar 2014
7,269 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Currently digging the new Metronomy album. I took Mrs and daughter to see them at Rock City on Monday night and they were superb.

NME awards tour on Sunday at Rock City again, looking forward to seeing Interpol. Also on the bill are Circa Waves, Temples and the fantastic Royal Blood. I love live music.
Mar 2014
11:59am, 19 Mar 2014
1,370 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
My latest find is the Sound City album, a fantastic collection of different songs from different artists, the movie is well worth a watch if you love live music.

amazon.co.uk

I am a bit of a "Rock-aholic" but I have been known to listen to a bit of Daft Punk, the new album is GREAT. :-)

I practically grew up in Rock City Joopsy. :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Perfect Organism
Just thought I'd open a new forum for us to discuss music in a bit more detail than "what are you ...