Muscle and back problem- to doc or not to docs?

1 watcher
Sep 2012
3:11pm, 14 Sep 2012
3,289 posts
  •  
Jambomo
About 2 weeks ago I hurt my back whilst exercising with kettlebells at the gym. I tend towards bad backs after a horse-riding accident in about 2002 left me with a cracked pelvis, (the physio said that the broken side sometimes sits at a different Angle to the other side or something) anyway this time it has started to hurt the muscles at the top of my thigh and sometimes my pelvis area, it has been a constant ache but sometimes it hurts more than others, usually if I have been sitting down or trying to stand very straight.

What I was wondering was should I go to the docs or, assuming its but a muscle strain or something, would it be better to let it heal itself? I have been taking ibruprofen without much success.
Sep 2012
3:17pm, 14 Sep 2012
6,582 posts
  •  
Maz Heeps
Can you self refer for NHS physio in your area?
Sep 2012
3:54pm, 14 Sep 2012
3,290 posts
  •  
Jambomo
I don't know actually, I can look into it. I went to the work physio before but need referred for that, I could ask if thy will I suppose.
Sep 2012
3:59pm, 14 Sep 2012
2,873 posts
  •  
Scotty
To doc Mo I would say. Then see what happens
Sep 2012
4:09pm, 14 Sep 2012
22,371 posts
  •  
JenL
If you have a history of back trouble, I wouldn't risk ignoring anything that might make an existing condition work. I'd recommend seeing a doctor. If you find out it's "just" a pulled muscle then no harm done but if you've done something a bit more serious then treatment will be more effective sooner than later. Good luck. I hope it turns out to be nothing or at least easily put right if it's "something".
Sep 2012
4:36pm, 14 Sep 2012
9 posts
  •  
Peds1
Hi Jambomo, your injury sounds similar to mine (parachute didn't open properly). I always try to self-treat with any injury I get and I was told about a book called 'Treat Your Own Back' by a Dr Robin McKenzie. Link:

amazon.co.uk

I found this to be very helpful in explaining injuries and I have been using the exercises in this book since 1998!

Whether you decide to doc or not doc I hope the book helps in the future.

Peds
Sep 2012
6:07pm, 14 Sep 2012
3,291 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll see what I can get in the way of a docs appointment. I'll def get a hold of the book Peds, it looks great :)
Sep 2012
6:51pm, 14 Sep 2012
10 posts
  •  
Peds1
You're welcome :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
About 2 weeks ago I hurt my back whilst exercising with kettlebells at the gym. I tend towards bad b...