Multi day ultra training

4 watchers
Oct 2016
6:57pm, 2 Oct 2016
2 posts
  •  
brimps2
I have just entered fire and ice ultra in Iceland. Multi terrain-self reliant 155 miles over 6 days. Never attempted anything like this. Asking the collective fetcheveryone wisdom for advice, sources of advice and contact with anyone undergoing a similar training journey!!
Oct 2016
7:44pm, 2 Oct 2016
32,406 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Hi brimps :-)

I'm afraid I'm nowhere near experienced enough to answer your question though I will watch this thread with interest as this is a longer term goal for me, too.

Might be worth you posting on the ultra thread. There's bound to be someone on there who can help.

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=10360
Oct 2016
8:58pm, 2 Oct 2016
21,789 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Time on feet and try as best you can to find similar terrain / conditions to what you'll find at the event. Work out what shoes, socks etc work for you and think about likely pacing. Are you carrying food? Mountain marathoners are the people to talk to for advice on calories versus weight but think dried mash, cos cous, rice cakes, Kells Squares etc
Oct 2016
9:44pm, 2 Oct 2016
4 posts
  •  
brimps2
Is a self sufficient event but organisers set up tents and water supplied. Have access to drop bag at specified times. Route is marked but varied terrain-ice,volcanic fields, mountains and water crossings- not going for a placing but more completion! Time on feet-back to back marathons, longer ultras? Wondering whether weekly sports massages or other advice to keep injury free whilst training?
Oct 2016
7:36am, 3 Oct 2016
21,790 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
One of the problems with long days is recovery. Try say back to back 10 milers then build up. Try a decent walk the day after a long run or event. It's amazing when you feel good six hours into a day when you did more the day before!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by brimps2
I have just entered fire and ice ultra in Iceland. Multi terrain-self reliant 155 miles over 6 days....