Muhammad Ali

7 watchers
Jun 2016
10:21am, 4 Jun 2016
33,890 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's a blessing. The poor chap didn't deserve to be wheeled out as an exhibit at another Olympic games.

What an athlete he was. A legend throughout the sporting world.
Jun 2016
10:39am, 4 Jun 2016
3,789 posts
  •  
Doctor K
As well as boxing Ali was also a pacifist (which cost him 3 years out of his boxing career) and a campaigner for civil rights. No doubt he influenced the latter but we haven't adopted the former. Governments are still too eager to fight wars and bomb people.
Jun 2016
2:37pm, 4 Jun 2016
14,732 posts
  •  
Diogenes
"The man who views the world at 50 the same way as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life" Muhammad Ali.
Jun 2016
4:29pm, 4 Jun 2016
32,289 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I actually shed a tear today
Jun 2016
5:43pm, 4 Jun 2016
6,343 posts
  •  
Seratonin
Showman. I used to love his audacity in the way his taunted his opponents to hit him. He had swagger before it was fashionable. The world has lost a truly great man.
Jun 2016
6:41pm, 4 Jun 2016
45 posts
  •  
Mr Logic
"No intelligent black man or black woman in his or her right black mind wants white boys and white girls coming to their homes to marry their black sons and daughters."

"We who follow the teachings of Elijah Muhammad don't want to be forced to integrate. Integration is wrong. We don't want to live with the white man"

The man was a cock of the highest order. How anyone can call him 'great' is beyond me.
Jun 2016
6:58pm, 4 Jun 2016
3,418 posts
  •  
postieboy
I had the pleasure of learning about the life of Muhammad Ali at school. It was 27 years ago but it was one of the few times I genuinely looked forward to lessons. He is the greatest sportsman who ever lived IMHO. Not just for his achievements in the ring but for standing up for his principles and sacrificing the best years of his sporting life.

Mr Logic, I think you'll find you're in a vast minority about your opinion of him.
Jun 2016
7:31pm, 4 Jun 2016
10 posts
  •  
Cyclone Ranger
Ali's quotes re black power read in isolation and taken out of context (like any statement) do indeed sound dreadful. But they only made up a small part of his complex character and if you look at the statement quoted before that by Dio it might allow you to show some empathy towards the man and his situation. A brave sportsperson and a man who fought more than just other boxers in his time.
Jun 2016
9:07pm, 4 Jun 2016
8,170 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
He was great because he dominated his sport, he was prepared to stand up for what he believed n, at personal costs, and had huge personal charisma
Jun 2016
8:35am, 5 Jun 2016
1,659 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Its easy to forget that there was still a colour bar in place in this country when Ali came to prominence. Ali's outspokenness was often a result of that mutual hostility, on both sides of the Atlantic

In reality he was a complex character, and not all of it was necessarily pleasant.

A bit like us in other words.

Yet somehow he seemed to rise above that and was loved for it. Compare his words with someone like Tyson Fury - and you'll see what I mean.

He was also a hell of a boxer. Probably the best there ever was.

About This Thread

Maintained by TROSaracen
2016 you are an utter bastard. Always knew this day would come, but it's still a shock.

How can...