MP3 or phone; and what headphones?

3 watchers
May 2015
8:09pm, 9 May 2015
1,681 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Well, as some of you know, my cheap mp3 player which my mum got free in a packet of cornflakes (or similar) finally met its maker in the form of a flushing loo. I was planning to replace it but since I do not care that much about sound quality, I was wondering if I should just use my phone. (It' a very basic samsung galaxy smartphone.) Is it worth buying a proper MP3 player or will the phone do? I have used the phone before as I was using mapmyrun but I have now progressed to a garmin so don't use it now.

Also: I always use crappy cheap headphones that I get free on airplanes. They are the ones with the head band because I find the in-ear ones fall out and are not that comfy. The cheap ones do the job but don't last long as the cable always breaks after a couple of months. But I have seen "sport" headphones that clip round the ears and am wondering if these are worth an investment.

Also, there are "bluetooth" ones that I *think* would work with my phone and - not having a cable - should not break. Does bluetooth work for running?

As you can see, I am a technophobe. I love music and love a quality sound system but when I'm running, all I'm looking for is some pop to keep the beat and put a smile on my face. I also don't want to drown out random cars and rabid dogs!
May 2015
8:10pm, 9 May 2015
1,682 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Also: do bluetooth headphones work with normal MP3 players?
May 2015
8:44pm, 9 May 2015
6,452 posts
  •  
Ness
I have a very cheap mp3 player and headphones similar to these.....

amazon.co.uk

(I bought mine years ago so can't find ones that are exactly the same).
May 2015
9:11pm, 9 May 2015
1,683 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Hey, I saw something like that here in Nuuk. Are they quite stable for running?
May 2015
9:54pm, 9 May 2015
10,079 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I'd suggest a Sansa or similar. Small, easier to work on the hoof and no one can phone you on it. I find phones and bigger screen mp3 players just the wrong shape for a pocket and I don't want an armband.
May 2015
9:57pm, 9 May 2015
1,684 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
clip on looks promising as women's running stuff rarely has proper pockets (I have started running in bike shirts for longer runs). My run shorts have a smartphone shaped pocket though on the outside of the leg which is kinda handy.

Now, headphones... is it worth investing in bluetooth?
MzG
May 2015
9:50pm, 12 May 2015
315 posts
  •  
MzG
I got a bluetooth earphone set with controls (with corded earphones rather than one of things it's all in the one band). It mostly works fine with my phone but occasionally it goes through phases of being crackly. This is probably as I like to wear it on the opposite site to the arm wearing my phone. Swapping the controller to the same side sorts it.

The all in ones have some very mixed reviews about longevity.
May 2015
11:01am, 13 May 2015
1,695 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
I bought some over-the-ear earphones here as my other ones gave up the ghost. They were only a tenner but the sound is much much better than anything I was getting with the free airline ones - even with my utterly crap MP3 player which has done a Lazarus. I'll still probably buy a new mp3 player when I'm in Scotland as my phone's battery is a bit shonky and it is (I expect) too difficult to switch tracks on the touch screen mid-run. (Maybe your bluetooth earphones do this, MzG as you said they had a "control" on them?)

Thanks everyone!
May 2015
8:05pm, 13 May 2015
376 posts
  •  
pink fairy
I know this a bit late- but for anyone else interested I have these bluetooth headphones amazon.co.uk and really like them. They do have a control on them to change tracks so I just use with my phone. And I've only once accidentally answered my phone whilst running and just heavy breathed down the phone...
May 2015
8:25pm, 13 May 2015
1,697 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
they do look kinda cool (if a bit high tech!) I'll keep them in mind.

About This Thread

Well, as some of you know, my cheap mp3 player which my mum got free in a packet of cornflakes (or s...