Motons Neuroma - any tips?

18 watchers
Feb 2013
7:07pm, 27 Feb 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
High Plain Drifter
Hi Guys, just a quick question for anyone who's had the op to remove a neuroma - I had mine cut out a couple of weeks ago so facing a long while out (surgeon suggests 3 month no running), has anyone who's had the op got any advice for running again afterwards? What are my chances of running pain free straight off and how likely is it I could run my next half in the autumn? Cheers guys.
Feb 2013
7:42pm, 27 Feb 2013
10,714 posts
  •  
Cloggy
Welcome to Fetch HPD, sorry to hear you're a Morton's sufferer too and hope the op has gone well and recovery us going equally well. I've had the op on both feet and still needed the injections afterwards too (am a bit of a medical oddball ;) ). Sadly I can't really advise on the running as I've not made my return myself yet either (all sorts if other reasons beside the Morton's), will lurk for the answers as well, am curious too and still hoping to run again one day. Good luck & enjoy Fetch. :)
Mar 2013
6:07pm, 1 Mar 2013
2 posts
  •  
High Plain Drifter
Cheers Cloggy. The op went fine, very little pain so far - but the last two weeks sat resting the foot have been long and dull. Weirdly I have a neuroma in the other foot also, but I don't often get pain from it when I run - so I'm leaving it well alone! My sympathy for having the op on both feet (plus injections - wow, I should stop moaning) think it would drive me nuts. Thanks for the welcome and best wishes, there are some chat-groups out there on this so if I find some advice about the road back to running I'll post it back here.
Mar 2013
8:46am, 2 Mar 2013
10,737 posts
  •  
Cloggy
Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope the other Neuroma behaves itself. ;) Hopefully you'll be back to running real soon again, maybe try some walks first and see how it goes? (You're gonna love Fetch, do you like cake? ;) )
Mar 2013
10:11am, 2 Mar 2013
1,726 posts
  •  
minardi.
My bestest tip for running with MN is to lace the shoes higher up the shoe i.e. to give your toes more room to move - my 2 bottom lace holes are empty (bottom being the toe end, if you get my drift!)
Mar 2013
5:17pm, 3 Mar 2013
385 posts
  •  
claramac
I had the op in one foot last august and I tried to run after 4 weeks....far too painful, felt very bruised so in the end it was 6 weeks, which is what the surgeon said so it was my own fault and I should have listened in the first place I know ;) however I am came back to running quite quickly after 6 weeks, with no pain and I started training in dec for my ultra in march, with (touch wood) no pain and no problems :)
Mar 2013
8:03pm, 3 Mar 2013
3 posts
  •  
High Plain Drifter
Thanks Cloggy, reckon it'll be a few walks to begin with. Yes I'm picking up quite a bit of 'cake love' on Fetch! Not a massive cake fan, now pies are a whole different matter!Thanks Minardi for the tip on the laces, will try lacing up differently when I get back on my feet again, I tend to wear Mizuno's for the reason I've found them to have the biggest crash pad at the front to let my toes spread out on landing. Thanks also Claramac, my surgeon is saying no running for 3 months, but its tempting to get out there and try it ahead of that - maybe some decent length walks and some cycling. It's really encouraging to hear that you were pain free and running after 6 weeks, good luck with that Ultra training.
Mar 2013
8:32pm, 3 Mar 2013
386 posts
  •  
claramac
Good luck HPD, keep us posted. I must say that the permanent numb feeling I have in some of my toes now is distinctly better than the pain of the actual neuroma,albeit still a very strange feeling!
Mar 2013
6:49pm, 4 Mar 2013
10,747 posts
  •  
Cloggy
I know exactly which feeling you're talking about claramac. It's definitely better than the pain from the Neuroma, but still odd. I also often get an annoying 'itch' in the numb bit, drives me mad at times.
Mar 2013
8:17pm, 4 Mar 2013
387 posts
  •  
claramac
Omg I get that itch Cloggy! Usually at night when I got my feet up!

About This Thread

Maintained by union
Well after about 6 months of running with (sometimes acute) pain in the smaller toes of one foot I n...