Most Races

6 watchers
Feb 2016
7:47pm, 5 Feb 2016
680 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Yes, I'd agree it's different but so is running the leg of a relay like Round Norfolk or as you've said a handicap but they're all races are they not?

I guess my definition is pretty simple, if I've had to bust a gut to run as fast as possible and record the shortest possible time, so that I beat as many people as possible in the final results then in my book it's a race. And the dictionary seems pretty much aligned with that "A race - a competition between runners, horses, vehicles, etc. to see which is the fastest in covering a set course"
Or maybe we just have to agree to disagree?
Feb 2016
7:55pm, 5 Feb 2016
7,462 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Baz - you ever done an O race? If not, you should give one a go...

Even our little Wed evening score events are highly competitive - mainly because there's a group of us charging round as fast as possible trying to beat each other. That's most definitely a race to me.
Feb 2016
7:56pm, 5 Feb 2016
9,610 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Ive never run a leg of a relay (or orienteered) so not sure if I would log as a race or not. I have done handicaps andlogged as races, but for me the first it is still a race even if the fastest doesnt necessarily win.

Would the Bob Graham round, for example, be classed as a race even if it is one participant against the clock ?
Feb 2016
7:56pm, 5 Feb 2016
9,611 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
fozzy, I would get lost !
Feb 2016
8:07pm, 5 Feb 2016
7,463 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
That's the best excuse for giving it a go then.

I'm guessing this is your local club: esoc.org.uk

There's an event near you on Sun - will be highly competitive. esoc.org.uk

Plus, that event is urban, so it's a bit easier than in the forest/on the fells.

Here's the map for the area from an event a couple of years ago: esoc.routegadget.co.uk
Feb 2016
8:15pm, 5 Feb 2016
681 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Bazoaxe, on the BG, personally I didn't regard my attempt as a race as there are no results (and other than acknowledging you broke 24 hours your certificate has no time on it) and as you say it's just an individual against the clock (for club membership) there is no concept of "racing" others. Though I have previously 25 years or so ago taken part in a relay race over the BG route in direct head to head competition with other teams and that definitely was a race!
Feb 2016
8:15pm, 5 Feb 2016
9,612 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Believe it or not, but that looks like the course will take in part of my usual Sunday LSR route if it goes in to the Dalmeny estate - although more likely to beHopetoun House which is just a wee bit out of range unless I was aiming for maybe 22+ miles

My plans this weekend are changed as I have an MP run which I am doing on Saturday as its forecast to be less windy and also because I haveless time on SUnday as I am going to the football at lunchtime
Feb 2016
8:16pm, 5 Feb 2016
9,613 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
FF - if I had done a BG I would probably want to have that in my race portfolio though !
Feb 2016
8:24pm, 5 Feb 2016
45 posts
  •  
thing
A bit OT, but while we're talking orienteering - can anyone run any level event? There's a couple of Level C events near me in March, and I fancy giving them a crack, but I'm not a member of a club, or, y'know, actually any good. I've done a couple of (forest) Level Ds, and don't mind coming last or missing controls to get home before midnight.
Feb 2016
8:34pm, 5 Feb 2016
7,464 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yes, you can do any Level D, C or B event for definite as an "unattached" runner - although if you're not a BOF member it'll cost you £2 extra (for most clubs) - that's for insurance, just like EA members get £2 off road races.

For Level A events, things get a bit murky, because they are pre-entry only and tend to be championship events. I believe you can enter them unattached, but I'd have to check how things are done to be sure.

RE: getting home before midnight - most clubs will set a "courses closing time" - after which people start collecting controls in etc (so they can get home before midnight!) - so if you think you'll struggle before that cut-off, I'd advise you try and start as early in the start block as you can. Having been on the end of the planner/organiser side of things, it's helpful!

If you've done Green at a Level D, a Green at a Level C should be similar standard as well (although that may not be the case depending on the planners/areas), but they might be a bit longer... As you probably know, Blue, Brown and Black (if they have one at a level C) are the same difficulty - just longer...

About This Thread

Maintained by legend777
Discussion on members who had added most overall races to Fetch as per link

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/league-mostraces.php