Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Sep 2022
11:14am, 8 Sep 2022
2,586 posts
  •  
Flatlander
A bit of salvation is that my brassicas which had become quite brown leaved have had a resurgence in the recent rain and produced green leaves. :-)
Sep 2022
11:20am, 8 Sep 2022
10,268 posts
  •  
sallykate
Is there a site somewhere which will tell me what I can grow in a different climate? I only have a terrace in our new place (Stockholm) but it would be good to know what I could grow in a large pot or two next spring - either edibles or flowers - and what's definitely not worth it.
Sep 2022
11:41am, 8 Sep 2022
2,587 posts
  •  
Flatlander
If you can grow Campanula rotundifolia (small bluebell) you might be popular and ingratiate yourself into the local population :-) . Apparently it is the national flower of Sweden.

There probably aren't too many websites offering help for city balconies, since most concentrate on agricultural crops, but I did find this which may be helpful, even though it seems to be geared more towards garden/allotment plants than pots gardeningtips.in
Sep 2022
4:09pm, 8 Sep 2022
10,145 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I bought a basic rain gauge on Tuesday- just in time to have something to measure. 30mm so far today since I emptied it this morning.

My husband says having a rain gauge is “very me” (meaning me, not him). I’m not sure how to take that. 🤔
Sep 2022
9:11am, 9 Sep 2022
56,669 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I had a hummingbird hawk moth in my garden a couple of weeks ago too. I was just about to go out and it was on an abelia. I watched it for ages and was fascinated. Of course, by the time I went to get my phone out it flew off.

Nice to see the grass nearly back to green, it really needs cutting now, maybe we'll get a little respite from the rain at the weekend.
Oct 2022
1:38pm, 30 Oct 2022
9,114 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Having exhausted our crop of tomatoes we’ve had to buy some. What a disappointment they are are several months of our lovely flavoured home grown toms.
Nov 2022
5:23pm, 27 Nov 2022
95,860 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Have been preparing my "winter" beds so you can actually see the snowdrops, hellebores and cyclamen through the decidedly spring like growth!
Tulips, daffs and alliums already showing foliage, almost 6 months ahead of schedule 😱
Picked some flowers...
Nov 2022
5:46pm, 27 Nov 2022
9,237 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
That’s a lovely arrangement Hanneke
Nov 2022
6:17pm, 27 Nov 2022
57,636 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I noticed that my big crocosmias are sending up leaves at the moment.
Nov 2022
6:21pm, 27 Nov 2022
61,277 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I put a couple of self-seeded crocosmias into pots and they appear extremely happy. I'll put them in bigger pots. They're not getting let loose in the garden.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.