Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Jan 2022
6:22pm, 30 Jan 2022
21,560 posts
  •  
Columba
My snowdrops are yet to show flower buds, though in a neighbour’s garden there are lots in bloom. Must be a different variety.
Jan 2022
6:38pm, 30 Jan 2022
85,191 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Yes! I have a few different ones that flower early, normal and late, to extend the season.
Very pleased to see good clumping from my Elwesii drops planted a few years ago. They have struggled and last winter were under water for most of the winter and didn't come up. I thought they had rotted away...
Although quite late this year, a few no shows from last year are back. Snowdrops often conserve their energy to survive a year dormant if conditions are harsh for them.
Jan 2022
10:10pm, 30 Jan 2022
17,297 posts
  •  
3M (aka MarkyMarkMark)
My garden does look very sad still. Hardly any new shoots through yet. And the fence panels really don't help, but fortunately the only damaged plant is a raspberry bush that I intend to split and relocate anyway. (Summer fruiting, I've already resigned myself to no fruit from it this year anyway since I'm going to be brutalising it and pruning back much of last year's growth to make it doable! Oddly it doesn't seem to send out many suckers.). And an apple tree branch that always gets me in the face when I go to the compost bins, so it's days were numbered anyway!
Feb 2022
4:57pm, 1 Feb 2022
24,452 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Have an azalea in bloom. Seems a little early. It is semi-outside, being in the atrium at the front door.

Feb 2022
6:27pm, 1 Feb 2022
21,566 posts
  •  
Columba
Yellow crocuses coming out. Purple and white ones yet to appear.
Feb 2022
7:36pm, 1 Feb 2022
85,251 posts
  •  
Hanneke
My tulips are coming up!!! More or less at the same time as my snowdrops and before my daffs :-o
Feb 2022
9:16pm, 1 Feb 2022
54,182 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Lots of bulbs coming up for a while now. The helebores finally opened a few days ago and I spotted my little clump of snowdrops in bloom this morning.
Feb 2022
9:34pm, 1 Feb 2022
24,255 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
My first tomato seeds have germinated :)
Feb 2022
3:30pm, 14 Feb 2022
17,018 posts
  •  
larkim
Has anyone battled badgers and / or chafer grubs? A bit of googling suggests the grubs might be the reason a local badger has taken to dining in our lawn and causing quite a bit of damage. We've tried all the barrier methods to stopping it getting in but that doesn't feel like it's working and stumbled across the concept that these large grubs are a particularly sought after treat for the badgers.

Nematode applications only appear to be particularly effective in the warmer months so wondered if there were other pearls of wisdom! Obviously it's nice having a badger visit from time to time but at the moment my wife would prefer a prison sentence for illegal culling given the damage it's doing!
Feb 2022
4:46pm, 14 Feb 2022
2,358 posts
  •  
Flatlander
From what I have heard from other people, don't even bother trying to battle badgers, they will always win.
It seems that the best legal way to get rid of them is to provide them with a better incentive to forage elsewhere.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.