Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Jun 2021
11:38pm, 11 Jun 2021
31,890 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Thanks Rosehip! That looks just like it :-)
Jun 2021
11:47pm, 11 Jun 2021
14,719 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
BBC News - Ghostly caterpillar webs cover Bedford trees
bbc.co.uk

BBC News - Huge caterpillar web blankets Yorkshire hedgerow
bbc.co.uk
Jun 2021
9:14am, 12 Jun 2021
75,133 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Yes, foxes and cubs Columba!
I was explaining to my apprentice yesterday how they self seed AND spread by making thick mats of roots, smothering everything in their wake!
She finds weeding very destructive and didn't understand why I cut and collect the grass oaths between my beds and cut the edges evere 2-3 weeks.
Now that the "weeds" are very much on a take over bid, she understands!

I showed her how many plants I lost and we had a rescue mission yesterday.
Nothing beats the plants themselves teaching her what care they need from her!
I got a massive hug and thank you last night! :)
We got a lot done!
Jun 2021
9:37am, 12 Jun 2021
22,600 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Oh Hann, I'm shocked :-o Weeding! Outrageous.

(Was your apprentice unfamiliar with gardens before?)
Jun 2021
11:36am, 12 Jun 2021
51,106 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I think that councils are making a rod for their own backs by not cutting grass this year in the name of "ecology" (read cost cutting). I saw the park where I do my PT sessions was getting an overdue mow on Thursday. The chap had done a couple of circuits of the park before he had to stop and unbung all the cutters. Never mind all the weeds that are going to grow and undermine the kerbs etc. as soon as the backs are turned.
Jun 2021
12:56pm, 12 Jun 2021
75,135 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Yes, she was Dvorak!
She is the 32 year old daughter of a friend. Super sweet, but head totally in the clouds!
She offered to help me, because of my shoulder, which turned into an apprenticeship learning about biodynamics, permaculture, agroforestry and food and herb growing.
I think she thought that meant leaving everything while I sit and meditate 🤣

She is learning fast though and works hard!
Jun 2021
12:59pm, 12 Jun 2021
75,136 posts
  •  
Hanneke
AR exactly!
I often get comments on how I make my wild, permaculture garden look good... Mostly, they envisage the weedy mess you encounter elsewhere. Although my methods are directed towards minimal care, care is definitely needed!
I have red currant bushes uncovered, for wildlife, but also have a fruit cage and so forth...
Jun 2021
5:09pm, 12 Jun 2021
22,601 posts
  •  
Dvorak
It's good to have a good think about your garden - but at a certain point you do have to get up and get stuck in :-) 💪

My redcurrants tend to get shared with the wildlife: mainly on the side where there is a wall where the blackbirds can sit and peck away, without going to any exertion. They generally can't be bothered with the other bush.
Jun 2021
7:04pm, 12 Jun 2021
75,139 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I don't mind sharing, provided there is enough left for me! :)
Today's activity, after battling in the shops:
Made mats for around my strawberry plants, out of recycled wool insulation from my neighbour's food deliveries! Last year most were eaten by the slugs!!!
I picked the first lot of honey berries, mulched the blueberry bushes with ericaceous compost and weeded and cut the edges. This bed is 10 x 1 metres! I had a metal hoop system made for the netting. I find it works infinitely better than loose netting on top od them. I had the netting made! So it is all one piece.
Now sat by the pond before finishing that job and moving to a flower bed where I want to pull out the spent forgetmenots and plant some nicotiana and ammi seedlings I have been bringing on.
Jun 2021
7:06pm, 12 Jun 2021
75,140 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have to wait till it is 4 pm before working in the garden, as that is when half of it is in the shade :) the sun goes completely about now.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.