Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Apr 2021
10:05pm, 6 Apr 2021
13,843 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Im doing all my sowing next week.

I can't currently get into my greenhouse as it's **full** of plants.

Leylandii attempted extraction today. Dug down 60-70cm and it's still going...
Apr 2021
10:33pm, 6 Apr 2021
20,985 posts
  •  
Columba
I sowed broad beans in the autumn, and most of them germinated but only three have survived the winter, so I have a fresh lot germinated on a windowsill and now going out in the daytime and coming in at night.
Apr 2021
10:40pm, 6 Apr 2021
14,867 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
Broad beans - ugh!

Runners are potted, waiting for them to germinate.
Apr 2021
10:05am, 7 Apr 2021
72,273 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Good luck Fozzy!
Apr 2021
9:17pm, 8 Apr 2021
50,078 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I keep threatening to get out there the last few afternoons but tiredness and that evil cold wind keeps putting me off.
Apr 2021
10:09pm, 9 Apr 2021
20,996 posts
  •  
Columba
I actually did get out there this afternoon - and it promptly started to rain.
Apr 2021
10:51pm, 9 Apr 2021
13,852 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
3 leylandii stumps are out. Including the 2 most difficult to get at due to accessibility (one was right next to a forsythia that I am trying to save). That was particularly bastardic to get out. It's roots were rather awkwardly heading off under the fence to next door and it was one of the thicker ones to remove...

It took 2 of us, a mini chainsaw, mattock, spade and lots of weight rocking it!

I'm hoping that the next few will be a bit easier as I've found the best solution to digging them out is to get down a bit, cut the roots with the mattock and then when you loosen it rock it and use that to snap the roots and eventually lever it out.

The issue with the big one next to the forsythia was that I could only rock it in one direction and just couldn't loosen it enough to get the roots exposed. With the rest, I should be able to access three sides and thus hopefully it should be a bit easier! The one where I could get at it was much easier than the other two.

I've got one in the back corner which I'm definitely going to have to have someone come in and cut it down and grind out the stump - there's no chance of me being able to dig that one out.
D2
Apr 2021
3:36pm, 10 Apr 2021
12,123 posts
  •  
D2
Well done on the leylandi!! I have planted some more asparagus after digging the bed and finding weeds at least five times, hopefully all out for a while now! Covered in plastic cloches until it stops being frosty just in case.
Apr 2021
4:01pm, 10 Apr 2021
4,036 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Got my agapanthus seeds - thanks Fizz:-)
I plan to plant them tomorrow and hope for the best.
I’m thinking next weekend I’ll plant out the coreopsis plugs that I have in pots at the moment.

I’m also thinking about a trip to the garden centre for a climbing rose and some trellis. Any favourite climbing roses any one wants to recommend?
Apr 2021
5:10pm, 10 Apr 2021
297 posts
  •  
gardengirl
I love New Dawn. Pale pink climbing rose, lightly scented. Memories of my childhood!

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.