Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Jan 2021
4:52pm, 2 Jan 2021
1,868 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I used to have the same experience with my broad beans - by the time of harvesting, the ones planted in Feb/Mar had done just as well as the ones sown the previous Nov so now I just make the single sowing in Feb/Mar.
Jan 2021
4:52pm, 2 Jan 2021
1,869 posts
  •  
Flatlander
P.S. Welcome gardengirl.
Jan 2021
4:49pm, 8 Jan 2021
12,571 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Someone was asking about grow lights the other day - there's a load in the latest Two Wests and Elliot catalogue (that they sent me without me requesting one).

Range from small propagators to full length overhead ones, but I get the feeling the latter take up a lot of juice and you'll need quite a lot.

Presumably they're also on their website. twowests.co.uk
Jan 2021
5:27pm, 8 Jan 2021
29,677 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Yes, I think I have found that before to regarding broad beans, but they also fix nitrogen, so they have gone into a empty patch, and are already a couple of inches high and doing their fixing.....
Jan 2021
5:27pm, 8 Jan 2021
29,678 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I think the rota is beans, roots, greens, fruits.....is that right?
Jan 2021
5:33pm, 8 Jan 2021
13,940 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
OS, they're only fixing it for themselves, you know.... And then extracting it into the plants and beans.

By the time you harvest the beans, most of the "extra" nitrogen has gone from the soil!
Jan 2021
5:34pm, 8 Jan 2021
13,941 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
Some of it obviously ends up in the plant too, so if you let them die down or chuck it on the compost heap, that'll help too.
Jan 2021
5:45pm, 8 Jan 2021
7,342 posts
  •  
sallykate
I looked at crop rotation earlier this year and found several approaches so decided not to bother!

Was planning to visit the allotment this weekend but apparently the padlock's failed (good job I'm on the WhatsApp group) and won't be replaced until Monday, so fingers crossed for appropriate weather next weekend. I haven't even started thinking about seeds yet. Tempted by sweetcorn because I have plenty of space there. I do like broad beans but have never grown them, maybe I'll plant some next month and see how they do.
Jan 2021
7:11pm, 8 Jan 2021
13,943 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
I picked up lupins, nigella and begonia seeds this afternoon!

I only went in to buy porridge and toilet rolls!
Jan 2021
8:34pm, 8 Jan 2021
21,620 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I usually put brassicas after legumes. Then roots veg. We put potatoes in sacks these days and fruits (tomatoes etc) all go in the greenhouse.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.