Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Oct 2020
4:07pm, 25 Oct 2020
1,804 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I have saved the lives of many squirrels intent on committing suicide-by-bike! Not because I care for squirrels, but I don't want to get injured when a suicidal squirrel brings me down with a big thump. I have had that happen to me with suicidal cats.
Oct 2020
4:48pm, 25 Oct 2020
20,428 posts
  •  
Columba
That's funny, because they get out of the way of cars quick enough. Squirrels, that is.
Oct 2020
9:31pm, 25 Oct 2020
13,054 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Perhaps squirrels are a bit deaf and just don't hear quieter bikes? I've dodged a few on the bike over the years. Mind you, I've dodged more people I think!

I need some more smallish pot for the remaining crocii corms!
Oct 2020
10:19am, 31 Oct 2020
47,118 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I was quite shocked when I ran over a squirrel on my bike a few years ago.

I didn't get as much done as I wanted in the garden this year - again! As soon as I got going another heatwave would come and turn the ground to concrete.

I managed to achieve one thing though, which I've been aiming for for 10 years - a rockery in my front garden. I'm really pleased with how it looks now and got the bulbs in last week on one of the drier days. The plants have started spreading already and if they all survive I should have colour out there all year round.
Oct 2020
10:24am, 31 Oct 2020
18,381 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I have so much clearing away and "putting to bed" to do - but it's so wet :(

Finished harvesting the squash this morning, 3 x spaghetti, 4 butternut (the slugs ate the rest, there were lots of fruit forming a while back :( )

and 4 tiny jill-be-little pumpkins. I don't think I'll bother next year with anything other than butternuts.
Oct 2020
9:02pm, 31 Oct 2020
13,119 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Rosehip, I got the opposite problem with pumpkins and squashes. Last year I got a lot of pumpkins, but I planted butternut instead this year. I only got 3 decent sized ones, so I'm going back to pumpkins!

Although so much depends on the weather, I think!
Nov 2020
7:28pm, 3 Nov 2020
70,635 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I am sticking with pumpkins! Last year I had only butternuts, ni pimpkins, apart from the little ones, they are always a hit. THis year no butternut but lots of pumpkins.

I just harvested the last of the Tromboncino, planted 50 red onions and 50 yellow ones, then managed to plant 5 dahlia tubers, deep, with mulch on top. I have had them in pots for a few years now and can't be doing with the faff. Besides, they don't actualy do very well: short stems. If they survive, fab, if not, I won't bother with them again, I had to dig out loads of first year teasel rosettes to plant the dahlias, in the cutflower bed, which s excellent as I want to make medicine.

Hellebores are flowering, some snowdrops are showing :-o

I picked up windfalls at my client so will be using the new dehydrator later and make pple chips :)
Nov 2020
8:07pm, 3 Nov 2020
20,466 posts
  •  
Columba
We used to live in a house with an Aga and an apple tree (the apple tree was not in the house, it was in the garden, but I expect you guessed that). The Aga was perfect for making dried apple rings.
Nov 2020
8:13pm, 3 Nov 2020
18,467 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I have one daffodil with a flower bud forming, but also flowering anemone de caen. There is something very odd this year
Nov 2020
8:37pm, 3 Nov 2020
21,234 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Bags of apples here. Many, many bags. Hmm, wonder how the fan oven would do with them? Also going to juice some, which I haven't yet because its pretty hard going (cheap Lidl juicer).

I think that the last mini-sunflower may yet bloom. Every year, the new buds on the blackcurrants seem to appear earlier and earlier. I remember being stuck by them at Christmas one year - same bush is already covered.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.