Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Oct 2020
11:30pm, 22 Oct 2020
13,042 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
I had a glut of courgettes this year. None were bitter, and all came from Wilko's! (Just in the interests of balance, you understand ;-) ).

Also we're still working through the windowsill ripening tomatoes after a successful first greenhouse season. So many fruits! Next year I am going to plant more cucumbers and spread the tomato showings out a bit more though!

The beans were abysmal. Two different varieties of French beans produced about enough for 4 portions off 12 plants. We got as many peas from the feral self setting ones!

I've got 3 large butternut squashes - variety unknown until/if I find the seed packet! I suspect they might have done better with more summer and less rain at the start.

And the onions were as reliable as ever. I've got loads hanging in the shed which ought to see us through the winter. I have a pack of 50 sets to put in now I've mostly cleared the veg bed, which ought to be ready early summer.

All part of the joy of veg. :-)
Oct 2020
7:02am, 23 Oct 2020
279 posts
  •  
Big_G
I also had a glut of courgettes and none were bitter, and some came from that supplier, but my seeds were from last year's packs.

Our tomatoes got blight, which was a real shame, as we threw out loads and disposed :(

All types of beans have done really well as have squashes. Cauliflowers were frankly a disaster - we had two, one of which was basically one floret :)

Leafy veg, salad and carrots did well too, and we've got some to harvest, whereas chills were only a moderate success for some reason despite it being quite hot over the summer.

Girlfriend also tried things like cucamelons and tomatillos which did well from the seeds, although the sweetcorn was disappointing. It just never really got going.

I've got a new pear tree that I'll be planting soon. Our new blueberry bush is healthy but didn't produce much in its first year, so hopefully that may do better in a year or two.

We've made a lot of chutneys with veg and will be making some chilli jam soon. At partner's work there is a quince tree and she took a large amount of fruit and made quince butter out of that, which is gorgeous! She did the same last year and it would have only gone to waste, so she she took it again this year.

Also looking for ideas of stuff to plant over the winter :)
Oct 2020
9:21am, 23 Oct 2020
7,056 posts
  •  
sallykate
Charles Dowding (no-dig guru) has a month by month guide to what seeds you can sow both outside and under cover. He lives in Somerset (very near to where my parents ended up) so bear that in mind, a colder climate might need a couple of weeks' adjustment.

charlesdowding.co.uk

It's pretty late for most things now, except garlic and some broad beans.
Oct 2020
9:22am, 23 Oct 2020
7,057 posts
  •  
sallykate
I might try sweet corn next year; I have plenty of space at the allotment and it's a hot plot. My courgettes all failed too - Lidl seeds - the plants just never got going.
Oct 2020
11:39am, 23 Oct 2020
14,343 posts
  •  
Garfield
I had a few courgettes...the last time I tried growing them I killed them, so I'm counting that a win.
Oct 2020
1:14pm, 23 Oct 2020
7,055 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Quite by chance, I happened upon a packet of cauliflower seeds in a garden centre that claimed you could sow this variety under cover in October. I thought it couldn’t hurt to give a few seeds a try, but with my record I expect it to be a complete disaster :)
Oct 2020
1:24pm, 23 Oct 2020
18,273 posts
  •  
Rosehip
which variety is it Frag?
Oct 2020
3:02pm, 23 Oct 2020
7,057 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I knew someone would ask that. :) I’ll have a look when I get home.
Oct 2020
8:16pm, 23 Oct 2020
7,062 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
The cauliflower variety is called ‘All the year round’
Oct 2020
8:31pm, 23 Oct 2020
18,280 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I have some of those seeds - probably what my successful caulis were this year. Might give it a go :)

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.