Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

1 lurker | 77 watchers
Oct 2020
5:33pm, 22 Oct 2020
204 posts
  •  
MDrewett
Disappointed with my squash harvest - tried uchiki kuri and crown prince for the first time and only had 2 (tiny) uchikis and no crown prince, and that was across 5 or 6 plants! There was quite a lot of foliage, just not many fruit). I did get 4 'mystery squash' though, saved seeds I forgot to label which I thought were going to be butternut... turned out to be more more onion squash like, doh!
Oct 2020
5:46pm, 22 Oct 2020
205 posts
  •  
MDrewett
The tomato harvest was also poor this year, think I started them too late and then the ones that did grow mostly got blight :( The runner beans did quite well though and I have a stash in the freezer to keep me going! And my new dahlias are still blooming now :-)
Oct 2020
5:53pm, 22 Oct 2020
11,954 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I got some Gentians on sale a few weeks ago and they seem to be really struggling (so much so that I haven't planted them out yet) - the flowers all seem to be going brownish and dying.

Anyone know anything I can do to rescue them?
Oct 2020
6:07pm, 22 Oct 2020
7,054 posts
  •  
sallykate
That's a shame MDrewett. I grew Crown Prince for the second time and got three from each of my two plants. My first year growing uchiki kuri and I didn't get much but I think that I suffered from fox intervention: I raised the plants at home then planted them at the allotment and the resident fox tends to dig up anything that appears suddenly, so I sowed more direct but it was rather late. Next year I'll not bother starting them at home and sow direct. I'll also nurture them more - squash are supposed to be hungry plants but I totally neglected them, didn't feed them at all and only watered them a couple of times.

I know nothing about gentians I'm afraid rf_fozzy.
Oct 2020
6:08pm, 22 Oct 2020
7,048 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Careful MDrewett with the squash from saved seeds, there have been some cases of people getting quite sick from eating them. Because squashes so readily cross pollinate, you may not end up with a squash that’s the same variety as the one the seed came from.
Oct 2020
6:13pm, 22 Oct 2020
206 posts
  •  
MDrewett
Oh goodness FDNB, that doesn't sound good!
Oct 2020
6:25pm, 22 Oct 2020
7,050 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I think the chances of a dodgy one are quite low but I wouldn’t want to risk it.
Oct 2020
6:27pm, 22 Oct 2020
7,051 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Definitely don’t eat them if they are bitter.
Oct 2020
6:51pm, 22 Oct 2020
1,802 posts
  •  
Flatlander
FDNB is quite right. The sickness is caused by cucurbitacins which are present in greater quantities in non-commercially grown plants and seeds.
ascientificcuriosity.wordpress.com
Oct 2020
7:39pm, 22 Oct 2020
7,055 posts
  •  
sallykate
There have been reports of people falling ill from eating courgettes grown from commercial seed this year - something went very wrong there. bbc.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.