Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Oct 2020
6:46pm, 19 Oct 2020
7,043 posts
  •  
sallykate
I have many abandoned gardening-related resolutions this year, including sowing brassicas in the summer. I finally found some little plugs online, which sat neglected on my decking for a couple of weeks before being planted in my allotment yesterday. I just hope they survive.

Garlic will go in next week when I have more time; will also tackle the perennial weeds, quite possibly with a fork. I've tried two years of no-dig but some perennials laugh in the face of the approach. It might work if you have easy access to tonnes of cheap compost or well-rotted manure, not so easy in Catford with no car to transport stuff.
Oct 2020
7:28pm, 19 Oct 2020
18,206 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Spent the day grubbing up tomatoes and sweetcorn plants. The beans got a reprive as, despite being blown over, they are still producing a handful of beans - and the compost bin and green bin were full.
Found four butternut squash hiding under leaves that I didn't know were there :)
had a mini pumpkin (jill-be-little) with my tea, not impressed - I cooked it in the microwave and it was a bit soggy - will try roasting the next one in the oven. They look cute though :)
Oct 2020
7:53pm, 19 Oct 2020
6,527 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I put our bug houses in the shed for the winter this weekend to keep them dry. I think we’ll put them back out in March.
Oct 2020
9:25pm, 19 Oct 2020
13,001 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
ER, do you check the bugs have moved out first?
Oct 2020
9:37pm, 19 Oct 2020
20,395 posts
  •  
Columba
Preparing a raised bed for some broad beans (the sort you sow in autumn). The bed has been invaded from below by tree roots, probably apple. Dug out all I could find. It's happened before. Don't think there's any solution, really.
Oct 2020
9:58pm, 19 Oct 2020
6,528 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
MMM, hopefully not. It’s to protect the mud which the bees seal up the tubes with from dissolving because of wind driven rain. Hopefully it will stop mildew and fungus which could harm the bee pupae. The bug houses need to be kept dry, but not warm.
Oct 2020
10:46pm, 19 Oct 2020
11,912 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Had a bit of a spree on bargains between Tesco (mainly), b&q (reduced Dianthus and pansies!) and Asda this evening.

Can take out some of the leylandii immediately now
Oct 2020
7:04am, 20 Oct 2020
18,210 posts
  •  
Rosehip
ooo autumn broad beans - thanks Columba, I'd forgotten about those
Oct 2020
11:43am, 20 Oct 2020
13,002 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Interesting ER. Thanks!
Oct 2020
10:23pm, 20 Oct 2020
20,400 posts
  •  
Columba
Planted some winter pansies, - not in my own garden, but in a trough outside the church. And did some weeding and cutting-back of various other things while I was there, leaving the bits for the pp to put into his green bin.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.