Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Aug 2020
1:54pm, 28 Aug 2020
30,453 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
We suspected we had a hedgehog earlier in the year but hadn’t sighted one until early August, we immediately bought a feeding station and started leaving food, I imagine as we are seeing it daytime and it looks healthy that it is female with young somewhere.
Aug 2020
10:23pm, 28 Aug 2020
20,201 posts
  •  
Columba
There was a hedgehog "hospital" a few doors down the road (run by two ladies who alas gave up last year as it was leaving them with no time for their grandchildren). As well as damaged hedgehogs they regularly took in too-small-to-make-it-through-the-winter hoglets, kept them warm enough not to hibernate and fed them through the winter, and released them in the spirng.
Aug 2020
7:18am, 29 Aug 2020
30,464 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Interesting website about hedgehogs, you can list where you have seen one
hedgehogstreet.org
Aug 2020
11:44am, 29 Aug 2020
6,356 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Thank you for sharing that link Mrs J. There’s some interesting stuff there.
Sep 2020
9:06pm, 17 Sep 2020
70,625 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Fozzy my greenhouse is 3.8 x 2.5 metres or something like that and I have a 100 litre water butt on one downpipe and the other runs into two interconnected galvanised cattle troughs. One inside the greenhouse and one outside. 340 litres in each. they overflow outside because the outside one is slightly lower than the inside one. They all fill up quickly. I have a pent roof shed with a 1000 litre bulk tank attached to the guttering. It is only a 4 x 3.55 metre shed yet the tank fills quickly. This summer I have used 2 x the full capacity f all my water butts and tanks, i have 3x 240 litre ones along my other shed, also a pent roof and smaller than the one mentioned earlier. About 3000 litres in total, times 2 is 6000 litres! I also had to use the hose in Spring, when it was dry for so long and I had run out. I am going to have two more of the biggest cattle troughs on my new building, to collect water, connected with a pipe to a half buried reservoir for dipping watering cans into.
Oct 2020
1:06pm, 19 Oct 2020
28,528 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Does that include squashed dead ones, not see alive one in ages....

Just planted my Plum Tree (Victoria).
Oct 2020
5:23pm, 19 Oct 2020
12,995 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
I cleaned out my greenhouse the other day. Took out all the dead/dying tomato and cucumber plants. Final handful of ripening fruit, too.

It's now filled with pots with winter pansies of varying kinds, ready to go out when they are a little more established. (I'm keeping them in to try and force them on a bit.) It's also got some pots of lettuce and winter kale seedlings. I'm experimenting and seeing if I can keep MrsMMM in lettuce until late November at least.

I also weeded 2/3 of a veg bed, made a new flower bed, and planted 20 tulip bulbs in it for Spring. (I've also relocated lots of aquilegia and foxglove plant-lets into it.)

Need to finish off the veg bed, fork some old growbag compost into it with a bit of chicken pellet manure, and plant the onion sets which are sitting in my garage on a shelf! And maybe plant out the winter kale seedlings.
Oct 2020
5:33pm, 19 Oct 2020
11,904 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I cleaned and tidied my greenhouse yesterday too.

Mainly because my new staging has just arrived.

I had to get them to raise the height to 40" (~1m) as the standard height was way to short for me.

Plenty of room in a high eave greehouse!
Oct 2020
5:35pm, 19 Oct 2020
11,905 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I also have spent the summer coming up with a sensible plan for my leylandii problem, which isn't too expensive.

Mostly because I'm going to take out the leylandii and hopefully dig out the stumps myself.

The two that I've cut right back to a trunk (one is quite a large one) seem to suggest that I should be able to manage this. Just about.

At least if I *do* have to get someone in to take out the stumps/trunks, it'll be cheaper if I've done most of the branch removal myself.
Oct 2020
6:31pm, 19 Oct 2020
7,029 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Cut my runner bean plants down yesterday, I’m always sad this time of year when I’m getting rid of the plants I’ve nurtured for many months. The tomato plants are hanging on in there but I don’t think much is going to ripen outside now.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.