•  
rf_fozzy
rhs.org.uk
Aug 2020
2:22pm, 24 Aug 2020
48,117 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I love cyclamen but have failed to persuade most of the ones I've put in my garden to come up repeatedly.
Aug 2020
4:53pm, 24 Aug 2020
11,312 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Apparently the squirrels like to dig them up and eat them, so mine might disappear.

But so far the ones that live at the end of my garden have failed to find the two (currently in pots) on my garden table so far.

The found the Lily I bought within hours and decimated that. Never buy lillies if you have squirrels - apparently they're like catnip to them.
Aug 2020
10:27pm, 24 Aug 2020
20,177 posts
  •  
Columba
ER, I knew about the ants and cyclamen seed, and as I too have lots of ants I shall watch with interest to see where new cyclamen plants appear. I don't think I shall ever regard them as weeds.
Aug 2020
8:42am, 25 Aug 2020
12,485 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Rain! Gosh!! Miserable running conditions but I can almost see the butternut squashes swelling as I watch!

I'm thinking about rooting out a bush I know as Rose of Sharon (since it's basically just a green bush for 11 and a half months of most years!) and using the space as a more "floral" bed - either "formal" bedding or a couple of roses and some cottage garden plants. TBC!
Aug 2020
1:00pm, 25 Aug 2020
13,801 posts
  •  
Garfield
Yes, I'm happy I won't need to water my plants today!!
Aug 2020
8:02am, 28 Aug 2020
6,349 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
We hadn’t seen our regular hedgehog visitor for a few nights and feared the worst. This morning however it reappeared this morning. We wondered if it has had a litter and so feeding habits have had to change. Any ideas on hedgehog habits anyone?
Aug 2020
10:15am, 28 Aug 2020
46,098 posts
  •  
alpenrose
fozzy, I have a large water butt next to my greenhouse which isn't connected. I tried to aim water from the gutter onto the lid but it still seems to fill up anyway, especially over the winter. Other years, when rain has been due I have been known to empty what's left in the smaller butts into the big butt so managed to keep the supply for longer. I think the more water butts you can get on your allotment the better.
Aug 2020
12:49pm, 28 Aug 2020
13,147 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Hedgehogs mostly have their babies in late spring, but a second litter in August/ September is definitely possible, particularly if the first litter died. (If the nest is disturbed in some way, the mother may simply abandon the litter.) The second litter needs to fatten up quite quickly to make it through the winter, so you do sometimes see quite small looking hedgehogs looking for food in winter, and quite often none of the litter makes it through the winter.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.