Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Apr 2011
5:50pm, 9 Apr 2011
624 posts
  •  
rexx
my lawn is full of weeds and stuff thats not grass, i've cut it a couple of times but it just looks dead in places and a mess in others, plus why is it all lumpy when i relaid the lawn last year it was pretty flat, now its like a farmers field. help !!!
Apr 2011
10:10am, 16 Apr 2011
45,398 posts
  •  
GregP
Well the Monty Don left it a bit late to tell me not to dead-head my daffodils.
Apr 2011
12:41pm, 16 Apr 2011
3,833 posts
  •  
lammo
Oh Grep, did you just remove the heads, which should be OK to prevent them seeding, you just need to leave the stems...

Not sure what i'm going to be doing this weekend, aside form cutting the grass which is now on the weekly rota...
Apr 2011
1:59pm, 16 Apr 2011
139 posts
  •  
poppyseed
Dead heading, tie-ing - according to current thinking by the boffins- all that stuff seems to make no difference - . I just leave mine for as long as I can bear to look at them before mowing them off. The longer they are left the more nutrients they can gather for a good show next year (apparently). Although, what I like best about gardening is that different things work best for different people, conditions, species etc etc so it's always a joy and lots of new stuff to learn :)

Today I will be mostly resisting the temptation to sow some runner beans. I learned the hard way last year that they really need to be left until end April/ Start May, but I'm just dying to plant some stuff - Ahhh!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 2011
2:14pm, 16 Apr 2011
3,034 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Poppy , what about peas ? I've just got some starting to come through. Have I been a bit eager ??? Packet said I could sow them outdoors in April
Apr 2011
2:22pm, 16 Apr 2011
2,811 posts
  •  
WolfDancer
I planted Peas 3 weeks ago up here in Scotland, they seem to be doing very well. About time i sowed another row so i don't run out mid summer :-) , i have kept them covered in fleece though just incase of a late frost
Will be sowing Runner beans in the Greenhouse soon though, short growing season up here, need to start them early and hope they survive replanting.
Apr 2011
2:33pm, 16 Apr 2011
140 posts
  •  
poppyseed
Ok Pea People! I sowed a few wig wams worth of early peas at least 3 if not 4 weeks ago and so far there's nothing, ziltch, flip all etc etc. I must go out and have a wee look to see if they've been nibbled off.

Last year I found that my early started runners (green house) versus later but directly sown siblings did just as well as each other. In fact I ended up with far too many as I used them to cover an arch over a path and they just went bonkers. It did look lovely though. Unfortunately the first strong wind in October blew the whole thing over! I'll be taking a slightly different approach this year with a stronger structure and a few less plants :p
Apr 2011
4:11pm, 16 Apr 2011
45,399 posts
  •  
GregP
lammo - yes, just the heads, thumb-and-forefinger jobbie.

I've finally replaced the flat wheelbarrow wheel with one of those solid eco-friendly green ones. The other one has been flat for at least four years...
Apr 2011
5:26pm, 16 Apr 2011
3,835 posts
  •  
lammo
They'll be fine Grep, just wait til they've all wilted then mow em up :-)
Apr 2011
5:36pm, 20 Apr 2011
45,666 posts
  •  
GregP
Hello. I have a new butt.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.