Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Apr 2011
7:56pm, 8 Apr 2011
45,168 posts
  •  
GregP
Raking the lawn in Spring does sound a bit unorthodox.

Dvorak - I can only assume you are a long way from hot and arid mid-Essex. Our daffodils are 80% gone - deadheaded the smaller ones last Friday. We've got some tulips blowing already, too.

The downside of Spring arriving early round here is that it ends early too...
Apr 2011
7:59pm, 8 Apr 2011
15,750 posts
  •  
ogee
Looking to give my grass it's first trim of the year tomorrow, funnily enough the back garden is growing like billyo but the front is just creeping up, weird really as the front gets a lot more sun.
Apr 2011
8:09pm, 8 Apr 2011
14,669 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
I have just pottered around the yard giving things a good degging and seeing what looks a little bit dead. Not sure what I've lost yet. And I can't recall where I put certain things last year for their dormancy. Ah well.
Apr 2011
8:14pm, 8 Apr 2011
2,012 posts
  •  
longboat
Just getting rid of the moss that seemed to grow more than the grass over the winter - looks a lot happier now, but always ready to be proven wrong!

Lovely blossom on the nectarine tree tonight
Apr 2011
9:36pm, 8 Apr 2011
45,171 posts
  •  
GregP
Our apple blossom is just starting to come out. Weeping cherry in the front garden now in full flower (normally a trigger for a really windy day).

Bit shocked about just how much of a state Monty Don's lawn was i just now. Heartening, mind.
Apr 2011
9:54pm, 8 Apr 2011
3,548 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I am sooooo laszy when it comes to gardening! 2 years ago our neighbour asked us if he could "rent" the back half of our garden to grow veg in - we said no, just grow what you want and let us have some! Sorted!

He even digs the borders coz he can't bear to see the state we let them get in to. Apparently I should actually "grow" something in them!! I never wanted any sodding borders to start with! So they stay empty! :-o
Apr 2011
9:56pm, 8 Apr 2011
10,948 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I love daffs most of all but Magnolia and cherry blossom are also pretty darn wonderful.
Apr 2011
10:10pm, 8 Apr 2011
5,538 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I had a lovely afternoon today attempting to restore some semblance of order to the back garden, with reasonably satisfying results. Still a lot to do though.

The little one has planted her sunflower seeds, I wonder if they will surpass last year's giants.
Apr 2011
4:30pm, 9 Apr 2011
4,054 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Some of the daffodils (plus an odd tulip/ anenome). Central Scotland. (Not a great quality pic, sorry). There are some fabulous displays of daffs around here, many down to the councils. In some places you can hardly move for them :-P. I am surprised to see so many cherry trees in blossom just now.

Apr 2011
5:37pm, 9 Apr 2011
17,465 posts
  •  
JenL
We've bitten the bullet and put the tomatoes in early, on account of an optimistic view of the weather to come. The apple trees are blossoming nicely. I've failed completely with raspberries three years in a row, but might try again.

Does anyone grow apricots? If so, how? And what do you think the chances are in an East Midlands clay soil?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.