Mixing different types of running shoes?

7 watchers
Jul 2020
12:53pm, 14 Jul 2020
3,976 posts
  •  
Kieren
Snoot - did you buy anything? I'd like to try Hoka - just concerned that being EVA, they might wear out fairly quickly? The newer PBX style foams might give more miles but then are also quite expensive.

I just used to rotate 2 pairs of Kinvara's. I think the cushioning is decent on those and I do like a smaller heel drop but I picked up a heel injury from cycling that remains a niggle. The higher drop of the Nikes seem to help with that.
Jul 2020
1:08pm, 14 Jul 2020
280 posts
  •  
Shades
Kieren - the cushioning in the Hokas goes on and on. My Cliftons are 700+ miles now and the cushioning still feels great.
Jul 2020
1:12pm, 14 Jul 2020
97 posts
  •  
Snoot
Kieren - didn't buy anything as yet still procrastinating. Interestingly though I was wearing a pair of Brooks Ghost 10 at the weekend that I don't run in any longer. They've done around 500 miles similar to one of my pairs of Clifton 5 but show a fair bit less wear than the Hokas!

My trail shoes are zero drop, fell shoes 3mm and road 5mm so probably going to try something similar or less drop and see how that goes, if I do run roads in the trail shoes I've not had a problem.
Jul 2020
1:48pm, 14 Jul 2020
4,713 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I can talk about shoes forever if you like? I wear Nike, Brooks, Saucony, Asics, Salomon, Adidas & Hoka currently and I'm also a fan of shoes modifications courtesy of the bread knife and / or a strong pair of scissors.

What I really wanted to explore though was Evan's comment from the opening salvos on this thread where you mentioned that shoes degrade over time even without use. Can you help me with that a bit please? I mean, everything degrades over time but is there some evidence of oxidation or other breakdown of the structure of the polymer? Thanks.
Jul 2020
1:53pm, 14 Jul 2020
281 posts
  •  
Shades
Windsor Wool - that puzzles me too. Often wondered if it was a ploy to encourage us to buy the newest, and more expensive, model.
Jul 2020
1:57pm, 14 Jul 2020
4,714 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Oh, go on then. My observations on the shoes I wear at the moment:

Hoka Clifton: cushioning lasts but the uppers always split for me before 700m. I kep buying them though so must like them.

Nike Peg Turbo: too high on the heel, need attention with the kitchen scissors. Otherwise seemingly indestructible. Light and generally gorgeous.

Nike zoomfly: wear this through to the carbon in about 300 miles. Frustrating as I like these

Nike vaporfly: long lasting, best shoes ever.

Nike Next%: seem hard by comparison but ran best HM / mara in them so proba can't complain!

Saucony Kinvara: tread compound seems to wear really fast for my scuffy / forefoot style. Can get through them in 250 miles.

Asics: I hate all of them. Like clogs!

Adidas: gone from love to tolerate only. That Boost foam used to be ace. Now with the Nike shoes on the market they feel hard. Still get out for a few miles in a pair of tempo boost now and again but find it hard to believe I ran marathons in them.

Brooks Pure Cadence purchased in 2012. 700 miles on them and perhaps still the most comfy shoe I have.

Salomon: firm and narrow. Nike seems to have spoiled everything!
Aug 2020
3:21pm, 2 Aug 2020
3,979 posts
  •  
Kieren
I'd be also interested if shoes degrade without 'use' - mainly because I want to store them in my boiler room.

Thanks for the bran summary Windsor Wool.

Snoot - Brooks Ghost seem popular. I considered them but Nike sale pulled me in.

Update on my shoes - the fit of both Nikes doesn't work for me - both have heel slip but seems to fade on the move. Both seem long but narrow. I don't notice the fit issues on the move and the most important part is no hot-spots or blisters.

I enjoy general running in the pegasus - it has a nice taper that rolls me forward and my legs don't feel too fatigued afterwards.

The Epic React 2 sole looks about the same size in height and width to the Pegasus and they both use react foam. However, it's my impression that when I have any niggles, I recover better if I prioritise the Epic Reacts in the rotation.

The Saucony kinvara fit me perfectly. The version 8 have a tiny bit of rubber in wear areas and mine are holding up very well at 670 & 330KM
Aug 2020
3:35pm, 2 Aug 2020
47,818 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've had shoes degrade in storage. When the first Nike Vaporfly was discontinued in 2007/2008, I stashed all the pairs in my size I could find. I broke out my last remaining pair last autumn for racing, and in their first couple of outings most of the rubber peeled off the soles. They still felt comfortable and bouncy to run in (I sometimes run in a pair with over 1,000 miles of use and no rubber at all because they're so light and comfortable). It was a lesson in not keeping my favourite shoes "for best" and just using them.
Nov 2021
10:37pm, 8 Nov 2021
First-time poster!!
  •  
silentworker
I used to run track and field professionally. I was a short distance printer. And now I have definitively moved into fitness. It was a big surprise to find out that different sneakers have to be chosen for different types of running. My friend, who has been involved in fitness for ten years, advised me of the store https://www.tennisshoez.com/marking-vs-non-marking/. I bought myself four pairs of Asics, one for the gym, one for regular cardio training or just walking, one for long-distance running, and a fourth for cross-country. I can say that I didn't make a mistake paying $600 for four pairs of sneakers.
Nov 2021
10:40pm, 8 Nov 2021
52,630 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’m a short distance printer too but I wouldn’t pay 600 anything for four pairs of Asics

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I currently run in neutral shoes with a 4mm heel drop and low stack height.

Having a slightly t...