Mixing different types of running shoes?

7 watchers
May 2020
1:27pm, 22 May 2020
3,939 posts
  •  
Kieren
I currently run in neutral shoes with a 4mm heel drop and low stack height.

Having a slightly tight Achilles in the mornings, I have been thinking about adding a different shoe into the rotation - like a neutral shoe with perhaps more cushioning on 6 - 8 mm heel drop or maybe even a show with mild stability.

Is anyone doing that or have words or wisdom for / against etc?
May 2020
1:31pm, 22 May 2020
3,940 posts
  •  
Kieren
For what it's worth,

I've been roating Saucony Kinvaras for years. I tend to forefoot land.

I dug out some really old shoes - New Balance 760s which I remember being fond of only to read they are stability and 13mm! heel drop. They are worn out but may test them again on an easy run.

I was thinking a different shape / more cushioning may take a little pressure off on easy run / long run days? Thinking maybe new Pegasus 37 or saucony guide / triumph
May 2020
4:07pm, 22 May 2020
34,897 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've always run in as many different shoes as I can - rotating them. At least 2 pairs, preferably 3 or more. My logic is that if one is doing you a mischief then the other one isn't! No more science than that.

Having said that, I can run in anything, never pay more than £30 for my trainers if I can help it, and only pay proper money for fell shoes for off road running where you really need the solid grip.

Best of luck. :-) G
May 2020
4:07pm, 22 May 2020
34,898 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh, and barefoot. Always try and get a few miles a week in barefoot on the grass. Don't always manage it though. :-) G
May 2020
4:27pm, 22 May 2020
4 posts
  •  
Evan
I'm not sure what constitutes "really old," but your running shoes degrade over time, even if you don't use them. I would recommend against using them if they're a couple of years old, especially since you're already experiencing some discomfort.
May 2020
8:31pm, 22 May 2020
3,941 posts
  •  
Kieren
"HappyG - yeah, I usually have a few pairs on rotation / on their way out. I've been a bit shocked at how much running shoes cost now.

Nothing like walking on the grass barefoot. :)

@Evan - Thanks. The new balanced are 760's are long decommissioned - I think I retired them in 2014. Just found them clearing out. I just though a short jog would let me know how I feel about a very different heel drop and stability control as it's very different to the kinvara.

The Kinvaras have about 400 / 200KM on each pair. I try to alternate them so the foam has a chance to recover - no idea if that actually does anything but at least it lets then dry out / not smell.
May 2020
8:50pm, 22 May 2020
14,981 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
As well as rotating shoes, I also have different brands/makes for different runs - I find it keeps niggles at bay! I generally have a go to pair for long runs, one for speed sessions that tends to be a lighter, lower drop, plus at least one other! I am not desperately brand loyal as I tend to go for bargains - but Brooks and Mizuno are the ones I return to most.
May 2020
3:17pm, 23 May 2020
34,907 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, what AL said.

As I say, I'm lucky, as the ol' "500 miles and dead" rule doesn't apply for me. I've done 1200 in one of my pairs of Inov-8s before. If you don't have any cushioning or support requirements then shoes are cheaper and last longer! (No cushioning to degrade, you see!) :-) G
May 2020
7:18pm, 23 May 2020
7,884 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I’ve got some lightweight shoes (Brooks Ravenna), some long run shoes (Hoka Clifton) and some race/interval shoes (Nike Next %) and I try and alternate between them all every week. Variety is the spice of life!
May 2020
7:28pm, 23 May 2020
14,988 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Just bought some Ravenna CW - not tried them before but was impressed with how light they felt.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I currently run in neutral shoes with a 4mm heel drop and low stack height.

Having a slightly t...