Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Mixing different types of running shoes?

4 watchers
24 May
5:34pm, 24 May 2020
248 posts
Shades
I never run in the same pair of shoes in any one week and I run 6 or 7 days a week.

I am a mild overpronater and now run my races in my Guides. But I also train in neutral shoes as I don't overpronate over shorter distances. I like to have a selection of brands and a selection of models. Also variety of heel drops, lowest 4mm highest 12mm I think. I believe it's the best way to avoid injury by rotating shoes. I have 17 pairs of shoes but 3 of them are newish Guides and are for races whenever that happens.

I keep a spreadsheet on my shoes with drop/weight/mileage etc

I'll get my anorak...
25 May
2:56pm, 25 May 2020
34944 posts
HappyG(rrr)
You know that Fetch auto logs your mileage, don't you Shades? That's how I know 1200 miles for some F-lites and 1,000 for pairs of x-talons etc. :-) G
jda
25 May
3:02pm, 25 May 2020
7448 posts
jda
opened thread expecting to read an oddball query from someone who used different left and right on the same run :-)

I swap shoes around to give me a break from rubbing all the same places. I do quite often wear the same pair consecutively though, just depends how I feel. They have a range of (slightly) different geometries and I don't find that bothers me at all.
25 May
4:16pm, 25 May 2020
249 posts
Shades
HappyG - I don't log my training on Fetch, I did years ago, but I'm sure it's not in the format that I want/like. I still have a manual training diary and my spreadsheet too.

Ordered another pair of shoes this morning 😊

jda - I did have a novice runner ask me how he could buy running shoes that were a different size for each foot without forking out for 2 pairs.
26 May
12:38pm, 26 May 2020
3942 posts
Kieren
Chunkywizard - the hoka cliftons seem to be very well regarded on all the reviews I watched on youtube.

Autumnleaves - yeah - that is kind of what I was hoping for too - a bit of a mix. Sunday is my longer run day where I would normally run tarmac paths in the park. Now on the weekend parks are much busier (a good thing) so I try to skip them but running concrete pavements is noticeable. What shoes do you rotate now and for which type of run?
--------

In the end, I have just ordered some "Nike React Flyknit 2" - I chose those over "Pegasus 36" as they were cheaper, reduced to £64 on Nike.com and the reviews I could find seem to rate the new react foam as better than zoom air, although not as fast so better as a recovey / easy run shoe. It has a 9mm offset.

My main shoes are two pairs of "saucony kinvara 8" with a 4mm offset. I was temped to add the Saucony "Triumph" to the rotation as the upper fit should be what I am used to but all the extra cushioning and weigh seems to be in the heel with the same forefoot cushioning as the kinvara, so perhaps no benefit to my midfoot landing?

Hopefully the new Nikes will arrive before the weekend.

@shades - sounds like a selection of shoes and organisation. Do you use the higher offset shoes for slower runs?
26 May
2:51pm, 26 May 2020
250 posts
Shades
Kieren - No. My Cliftons are the lowest drop shoes I have at the moment and don't think I've ever run more than 12 miles in them as I feel I need a bit more support in longer runs. They've done nearly 700 miles now and the cushioning is still great.
I do most of my long runs in 8mm drop. But I've become so used to wearing different shoes that they all feel good when running.

Of course have had my share of injuries over the years but luckily, and maybe helped by my shoe rotation, I've avoided any achilles problems, tendonitis, shin splints or knee problems.. I've probably had every other injury though.

Re your mention of the Triumph, I've got a pair of Rides which I think are 8mm. Lovely shoes, feel light and fast to me, I think the Triumph are a heavier type of shoe. Paid £50 for them and well worth it, I will get another pair soon.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I currently run in neutral shoes with a 4mm heel drop and low stack height.

Having a slightly t...

Close