Misaligned pelvis

3 watchers
Dec 2013
11:26am, 28 Dec 2013
9,681 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
My friend recently went to a chiropractor and was told she has a misaligned pelvis. She suffered from knee pain over the summer but now has new shoes and this has stopped. Last week she ran 7 miles without pain.

Following treatment at the chiropractors in the past few days, she has now got lower back pain.
Is it worth paying for the chiropractor treatment or is a misaligned pelvis something that can be lived with? Will the chiropractor be able to permanently re-align her pelvis or will it misalign as soon as treatment stops?
Dec 2013
12:59pm, 28 Dec 2013
17,057 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I wouldn't give a chiropractor change for the bus, never mind money to 'realign my pelvis'. Therefore anything I say must be taken as coming from an already biased position.

Your question suggests that she started with knee pain that was effectively treated with orthotics. She then ran 7 pain free miles.
After visiting the chiropractor she now has back pain.
Lower back pain is one of the few things that chiropractors have managed to treat, but most people would be better doing the normal things before they part with their cash (analgaesics, stretching, rest from strenuous exercise).

Pelvic misalignment is the kind of phrase people use without much thought. I don't really know what it means, and I doubt you will find a definition in a mainstream medical textbook. Having said that, there are a lot of people who have specific weaknesses or abnormalities of gait that have been addressed by targeted strengthening and training. This may well be the source of such phrases, and in this context is probably reasonable.

My advice would be to rest, keep mobile, and see how things go. I wouldn't be paying money to a practitioner of a dark art that claims to be able to cure liver failure by spinal manipulation, even if the problem I had was more musculoskeletal and therefore the treatment suggested made more sense.

And also, just for info, we probably see one patient a year admitted to hospital with stroke caused by chiropractors. So even if you have money to burn, this isn't an entirely benign therapy.
Dec 2013
1:12pm, 28 Dec 2013
159 posts
  •  
Krissie
Not at all a professional opinion, and only speaking from personal experience, but if the injuries are indeed coming from a problem with the Pelvis, I would have thought that Physio exercises/Pilates to develop the surrounding muscles to create better stability to manage the misalignment would be more effective? Surely a Chiro can't change the bone structure permanently??

I currently have pelvic girdle pain in Pregnancy and saw an Osteopath who said I had a twisted pelvis and did a very gentle manipulation and some massage to 'correct it'. I felt at the time that it wasn't going to do much, and it didn't. I later had a really good NHS physio session where I learned a range of pelvic, core and glute strengthening exercises and it was worked a treat.

Prior to getting pregnant, I was also frequently injured and tried out lots of different treatments including Osteopathy and Orthotics. I was told I had a wonky pelvis, one leg shorter than the other, etc. The injuries just seemed to move from one place to another. The last 1.5 years has been the first time I was consistently injury free since following a really good physio program which focused on core and glutes, and doing a weekly pilates class. It's remarkable how quickly I've fallen to pieces again after no longer being able to do the full range of core exercises that I was doing previously due to pregnancy :-O
Dec 2013
1:20pm, 28 Dec 2013
160 posts
  •  
Krissie
Post crossed with the one above, which is obviously more informed by professional opinion :-P
Dec 2013
1:25pm, 28 Dec 2013
775 posts
  •  
Santasmum
I don't use a chiropractor but an osteopath and tbh its due to her that I can walk, swim etc etc. I would get your friend to speak to the practitioner and ask if its part of the settling process after adjustment.
Dec 2013
1:27pm, 28 Dec 2013
1,129 posts
  •  
PowerJen
I had a 'locked' pelvis a few weeks ago. Was also getting related ITB issues. After a bit of manipulation from an Osteo and some work on the affected muscles, she's also given me some exercises to avoid this happening again. This has really helped! Am also now going to Pilates and really working on strengthening my muscles and stretching my hip flexors. I continue to see the Osteo as this has been the best money I have spent in terms of improving my running and conditioning lately.
Dec 2013
1:29pm, 28 Dec 2013
9,682 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
That's really interesting, thank you for taking the time to respond. We were wondering if some strengthening exercises would be more effective.
Dec 2013
1:32pm, 28 Dec 2013
405 posts
  •  
NickyNoo
My pelvis need re aligning everytime I go for a sports massage, it's started locking up which means a pain right under my bum cheek and under my foot. For the time being the sports therapist just straightens me out he's been unable to delve further due to other stuff going on with me but further investigations will be happening! I've got exercises/stretches to do to try and stop it but it doesn't stop me running. I also get lower back pain/discomfort if I've been standing up for a while.
I don't know how much a chiropractor charges but I pay £25 for an hour treatment (with Andy Coulson who lives near you, GM!)
Dec 2013
3:41pm, 28 Dec 2013
9,685 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
It sounds like manipulation doesn't solve the issue?
Dec 2013
3:50pm, 28 Dec 2013
6,260 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Ive had a misaligned pelvic issue for 2 years now after a fall when I landed on my hip. My pelvis on the right can be raised, rotated or both. I can control this with pilates, stretching, trigger point release and glute work. If not careful it starts to get out of position again and I will get issues with lower back, groin, adductor, ITB, calf or hamstring. When it gets bad and something goes wrong I need 4-6 physio appointments and reduced running to help me get it sorted and back in place. In short its a bugger to deal with. I would find a good physio, be patient and once its better keep the rehab going

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GimmeMedals
My friend recently went to a chiropractor and was told she has a misaligned pelvis. She suffered fro...