Minimalist Footwear Thread

105 watchers
Dec 2021
11:14am, 26 Dec 2021
105 posts
  •  
PAJ89
Merry Christmas minimalists 🎄 First impressions on the Skinners: positive. Haven't used for any activities yet but can see being a good workout piece of footwear and for general wear. Definitely more sock the shoe. If anyone is familiar with the Vibram Furoshiki wrap style shoe/sandle (which I also have an old pair of), not a million miles away from that but I think I may like this more. Pretty comfortable with and without socks, and with or without the very thin insole provided. Sizing is a bit tricky though: printed out the scale measure thing to stand on to estimate size and I technically was supposed to be XS. Did the typical 'nah can't be right' and ordered medium because that was at least ball park in my regular UK and EU size estimation. Medium was too big so swapped for small, which feels good. If I wanted a really close fit and was going for a more performance feel I'd probably be able to do the XS as well.
Dec 2021
4:11pm, 26 Dec 2021
16,679 posts
  •  
geordieclaus
I took the lunas on a test run through the week only a 2.5m run but it was enough my toes got a bit cold 🤣 but otherwise I really liked them they felt comfortable no rubbing and I am looking forward to spring to get out properly with them.
Dec 2021
4:33pm, 30 Dec 2021
3,526 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but has anybody used inov8 roclite boots? I sprained my ankle quite badly before christmas (chasing a bad hen; don't ask), and if it doesn't get better soon, I may look into a pair of these. The 286 I think.
Dec 2021
5:23pm, 30 Dec 2021
20,209 posts
  •  
flanker
Yes, I got a pair of the top-end ones (400s?), which are very much a lightweight walking boot rather than a running one. I loved them as a lightweight boot and everyday shoe, but within a month both had sprung a leak in the same place - on the flex point back of the toes - and I returned them. For £175 I expect the waterproofing to last a little longer than that. If I can find a pair at a sale price I'll try again in the (unrealistic) hope it was a bad batch as I really liked them.
Apr 2022
2:40pm, 15 Apr 2022
3,631 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Does anybody have a view on Inov8 X talon 260 v2? My search for a trail sure is getting desparate.
Apr 2022
2:41pm, 15 Apr 2022
3,634 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Trail *shoe*, obviously.
Apr 2022
3:22pm, 15 Apr 2022
5,061 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I've got v1, and all reviews I saw said v2 was better than v1 in the upper lockdown, v1 could be a wee bit "baggy" unless you had very broad feet, but v2 sounds like it's spot on.
Depending on your trails, it could be a bit overkill - the lugs are pretty aggressive, more or less the same as mudclaw - so fine for muddy singletrack, but for dryish or stony fire-roads, landrover tracks, etc then I'd personally use something with smaller lugs.
SPR
Apr 2022
3:28pm, 15 Apr 2022
36,636 posts
  •  
SPR
TrailTalon is the less aggressive true trail Inov-8.
Apr 2022
3:36pm, 15 Apr 2022
3,638 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Thanks. If it works out, it will be for first half of lakeland 100, so more aggressive is good.

I had trailtalon 230s; but they fell apart fairly quickly, and were never as comfortable as x-talons (200s are my benchmark off road shoe).
Apr 2022
11:31am, 19 Apr 2022
20,513 posts
  •  
flanker
I had a few pairs of the v1s, loved the feel of them and wanted them to be my 'go to' shoes to replace my 200s, but eventually had to admit I found them unstable. I went over badly on both ankles several times wearing them. Part of this was they had too much volume (even for my wide feet) and didn't hold the foot properly, but also I think the stud layout is partly to blame. Maybe the v2s will solve the first part of this.

I'd say the 260s are far too aggressive for any part of the L100, it mainly hard pack trail, but especially the first half where there's a fair bit of road. The second half is the more muddy half, but even for that I'd say they inappropriate.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dipper
A place where all efficient schools of running can come together and discussing minimalist footwear.