Minimalist Footwear Thread

105 watchers
Jul 2021
12:50pm, 6 Jul 2021
15,102 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I had to get something to accommodate a troublesome bunion as I could t wear vibrams as I had a stress reaction in left foot. Honestly you couldn’t make it up. I
Bought the vapour gloves but the lacing panel was across a sore point. The inov8 worked well I managed a 64.5m run in them (with only m 40m of test runs pre race) with zero issues (blister caused by said bunion) just a shame they’re deteriorating so soon.

I had a look at zeros sandals I’ll maybe give them a whirl.
Jul 2021
2:55pm, 6 Jul 2021
21,946 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Dunc - I don't wear socks. Longest run (fully on trails) about 13 miles.
Sep 2021
3:48pm, 7 Sep 2021
3,347 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I probably need new fell / trail shoes soon... but my preferred inov8 x talon 200 seems to be unavailable (again) at the moment. Does anybody have a suggestion for similar lightweight low stack fell shoe sort of thing for a wide foot with a bunion? Any views on x talon 255? Thanks.
Sep 2021
5:34pm, 7 Sep 2021
3,179 posts
  •  
Snoot
I’ve got the 200 and 255 as likewise I couldn’t get hold of the right size 200. Had to go up half a size, 200 are 9.5 255 are 10. Took the insoles by out and they are identical in width and length. 255 upper was a bit firmer to start and I ended up with chafing on front of mg ankles, but that was partly due to invisible socks / snow / Reynaulds!!
SPR
Oct 2021
9:33am, 12 Oct 2021
35,440 posts
  •  
SPR
I got some escalante 2.5s. Three runs so far and seem better than the 1.5s. Upper more flexible and a bit more structured, seems a bit firmer than the 1.5 as well.

Pretty much all my runs have been in the Kayenta this year but if these continue to feel good, I can save the Kayenta for faster training runs.
SPR
Oct 2021
7:08pm, 12 Oct 2021
35,451 posts
  •  
SPR
Anyone tried the Altra Superior 5 (or other versions)? Probably going to get that as a trail shoe for places like Cannock and Malvern Hills. Could probably get away with road shoes in both but the Superior look like they'd be decent.
SPR
Oct 2021
7:17pm, 12 Oct 2021
35,452 posts
  •  
SPR
The promised Altra Kayenta sole pics from a few months back. The majority of my 1600+ miles this year have been done in these. Wear on left foot heel is due landing changes following ankle injury that's still not 100%

Oct 2021
9:37am, 13 Oct 2021
81 posts
  •  
PAJ89
SPR I have ran good mileage in a Superior 4.0. The although it's a low stack height the Quantic foam feels quite bouncy, imagine anyone who has worn firmer minimal shoes will find these pretty comfortable ride. I felt happy up to 50K in them, I decided to use a pair of Lone Peak for my 40 mile event late August. Tread is decent, as long as you're not using primarily on very soft/wet/loose ground you should be good. After about 250 miles I've found moderate to higher wear on outsole (keep in mind I usually have to run a mile or two road there and back to get to my trails). When the outsole and lugs give up, I'd use it on road until the midsole dies. Not a million miles away from the Escalante feel.
SPR
Oct 2021
12:24pm, 13 Oct 2021
35,454 posts
  •  
SPR
Thanks PAJ89. I think I'll give them a shot. The Escalante are definitely firmer than most shoes I've run in previously and it's why I like the Kayenta as it feels closer to what I'm used to. Not bad, just different and hopefully will just feel normal after a few more runs.

Are you in the latest Lone Peak? They use the same Ego foam as the Escalante.
Oct 2021
3:12pm, 13 Oct 2021
82 posts
  •  
PAJ89
I bought an older pair (4.5 I believe?) that has the more basic A-Bound midsole foam as a last minute decision for the coastal 40. The Superior are a funner and smoother shoe for me but after my final long run of 30 in them, I felt I could do with just a touch more stack underneath. Altra are by far my favourite brand and the shape works well for me, so despite a potentially risky late shoe change the Peak worked well.

I'll be looking at the newer Lone Peak next time I get trail shoes (my place of employment will hopefully be stocking from next year). Lone Peak profile on Ego foam sounds like a dream combo. Honestly not too familiar with where the Kayenta sits in the range but sounds like you've had a great experience in 1600 miles/2 pairs, will keep on radar.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dipper
A place where all efficient schools of running can come together and discussing minimalist footwear.