Minimalist Footwear Thread

105 watchers
Feb 2021
3:02pm, 24 Feb 2021
17,261 posts
  •  
Chrisull
SPR - I can't see the return either, BUT the H streets predated pose - pose only really seized on them in the second coming. They were a nice vegan, lightweight, comfy running shoe that looked good and ran like an old fashioned flat shoe, instead of one built up in the Nike era. They weren't zero drop (I'm not a fan of zero drop, I like some drop, they were 4-5mm), they had some cushioning, they were narrow fit. It wasn't a checklist of impossible wishes, but what used to be standard in the 60s-70s-80s whenever.

It's not totally Puma's fault, the fashion went to zero drop but with loads more cushioning light weight. The other lightweight shoes tended to go to wide fits (I have a pair on Invivos I use as slippers. As running shoes they were shockingly poor). I'm looking for something that forces me to shorten my stride, quicken my cadence, f-lite 195s were the second best I found.
SPR
Feb 2021
3:07pm, 24 Feb 2021
33,372 posts
  •  
SPR
The H-Street were a fashion shoe that ended up being used for running. I know they were made in an old running style (well more a running spike style) but by the time they were manufactured they weren't really aimed at running.

It's so long since I tried the Pumas but 4-5mm drop sounds high and 4mm would have been an upper limit.
SPR
Feb 2021
3:11pm, 24 Feb 2021
33,373 posts
  •  
SPR
Actually I might be mixing it up with the Saloh TBF. Still don't think they were aimed at long distance running though which explains why they wouldn't be around now.
Feb 2021
4:15pm, 24 Feb 2021
12,484 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
Thanks SPR I’ll have another look at the specifications of those Altras. Meanwhile I had a good LT run in some old f-lite 195 which though a little narrow and have split on the upper outside still feel good with some 300 miles on them .
Feb 2021
4:19pm, 24 Feb 2021
3,762 posts
  •  
Tav H
One of the attractions of minimalism, or so I thought, was a low £ per mile value. :)

A pair of F-Lite 230 lasted me around 1500 miles. I guess these 195s are OK but have started to split after 500 miles.

The Xero Shoes, at £35, have at least 800 miles in them, and actually on pavement it doesn't matter if they wear through in a couple of spots. For trail I wear some Xero z-strap sandals which are much thicker, but for mud it would have to be shoes I think.
Mar 2021
9:28pm, 2 Mar 2021
12,523 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
Just taken delivery of some Kayenta’s and looking forward to a run in them tomorrow.
There’s quite a few design features that I’ve never seen before ie small drain holes in the sole and an inner skin/sock . In size 12 they weigh in at 8.1 oz or 230 g
Apr 2021
10:35am, 8 Apr 2021
21,773 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Why don't we write to Inov-8? I'm lost without my F-Lites and haven't really found a replacement that's good. I've got Freet Leap for dry, springy trails; X-Talons for sticky trails, but nothing for inbetween or having to do a road run to get shopping etc.
Apr 2021
10:46am, 8 Apr 2021
14,297 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
That is a good idea red squirrel it’s as if they want to join the movement of hoka with the crazy soles I am tempted to buy a few pairs if I can find my old faithful 195 f-lites.

I do prefer vibrams for the majority of running now and having bought a new pair a few weeks ago in a different model (as I couldn’t find my old ones again) they came in a tiny bit small. Amazon then had my old ones in again, however 1/2size bigger as they didn’t have the 5.5’s left. I’ve got my fingers crossed these will be ok and if so I’ll get a 3rd pair I can’t be doing with the changes in models and sizing
Apr 2021
10:56am, 8 Apr 2021
21,775 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
OK - I've emailed them. On their site Contact Us is at the bottom under HELP.
inov-8.com
Apr 2021
11:07am, 8 Apr 2021
14,298 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Great plan I’ll do the same.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dipper
A place where all efficient schools of running can come together and discussing minimalist footwear.