Minimalist Footwear Thread

105 watchers
Jan 2021
1:37pm, 10 Jan 2021
14,917 posts
  •  
Garfield
The link on Sportsshoes.com was nothing like that one, hence my comment. That one I could get on with but I don't need any for a while. Sportsshoes were clearing out older stock a few years ago and I got a couple of pairs of digicam 230s. Hubby was jealous! ;)
Feb 2021
1:20pm, 23 Feb 2021
3,748 posts
  •  
Tav H
I haven't posted on here for a while. I'm still in Xeroshoes, although have to admit defeat whenever there is enough rain to make the footbed too slippery. I had a reasonably painful time at the Newport Half a couple of years ago. Lesson learned! I'm in F-lite 195s for the rainy weather, I should be able to try the Xeroshoes out this week some time I hope.
Feb 2021
5:41pm, 23 Feb 2021
12,475 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
Wish F lites 195 would come back , I have two pairs with quite a few miles in them now but still nice traction on pavements
Feb 2021
8:38pm, 23 Feb 2021
3,757 posts
  •  
Tav H
Mine have started to go on the inside at the heel, and the upper has also started to split. Not ideal but they were 50 quid.
Feb 2021
10:10am, 24 Feb 2021
17,256 posts
  •  
Chrisull
After a couple of months - the HST 2.0 , some thoughts.

1) They are not truly minimalist
2) They're not bad as a go to general training road running shoe, comfortable, wide fitting, not worn too heavily.
3) Their grip in mud is tenuous
4) The stiffness means they can deaden your feet completely in some scenarios (long down hills, bike rides). I'm assuming they cut off blood supply or something, I've not had this in other shoes.
5) They retain water, so in rain showers they become twice as heavy as a normal shoe.

So they are not H streets, they're not too bad. I note most of Puma's current range looks like a throwback to the retro-ness of the H streets. It's annoying they can't just redo H streets, but that's capitalism for you. Why redo one thing when you can riff on a theme for 20 different variations, none of which are a patch on the original.

eg Coke - why do vanilla, cherry, diet, no sugar, no caffeine, when what most people want is just coke. The rest are just ersatz facsimiles.

eg Houmous - oh for FFS do I really need caramelised onion, lemon, moroccan, red pepper, pesto for more than one mouthful.

But at least original coke and straight houmous still exist (and I can make my own adulterated versions if need be of the latter). BUT Puma think removing the original option is best. Sigh.
SPR
Feb 2021
10:29am, 24 Feb 2021
33,364 posts
  •  
SPR
Unfortunately for you Chris, I can't imagine there's many pining for the return of the H Street given Pose is/ was quite niche. Not surprised by your feedback as I think it looked pretty clear they wouldn't be great based on how the look.

I'm currently doing all my running in the the Altra Kayenta. I definitely seem to prefer simple softish and flexible cushioning in my running shoes but that has wear implications. Also since a left ankle injury in Dec 2019 (which is still not quite 100%), I wear the outer heel of my left shoe pretty significantly while the outer heel of my right shoe shows pretty much no wear.
SPR
Feb 2021
10:31am, 24 Feb 2021
33,365 posts
  •  
SPR
Old shoes show I always had more wear on the outside of my left shoe, but the heel wear is new.
Feb 2021
10:41am, 24 Feb 2021
12,483 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
SPR - how long have you used Altra for? I’ve been looking for an alternative to Merrell trail shoes for use on road . Any recommendations of Altra models?
Feb 2021
11:09am, 24 Feb 2021
3,758 posts
  •  
Tav H
Back in my Xero Shoes Genesis today. I decided to "live a little" and do my usual 7-miler even though I've been in F-lites for the last 3 months. Not too bad though I can feel some tendons etc. which may ache a bit tomorrow.
SPR
Feb 2021
11:39am, 24 Feb 2021
33,366 posts
  •  
SPR
UD - Probably for about a year to 18 months IIRC. I was using the Altra Escalante 1.5 for most runs and the Kayenta for faster runs but have recently switched to the Kayenta for all runs. I wonder whether the 1.5 upper is too sloppy for me and contributed to my ankle issues, it's also heavy compared to what I'm used to but is a decent shoe. The Kayenta is more similar to the Puma Faas 100R that was my previous training shoe but is no longer produced.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dipper
A place where all efficient schools of running can come together and discussing minimalist footwear.