Minimalist Footwear Thread

105 watchers
Nov 2020
2:19am, 7 Nov 2020
18,970 posts
  •  
Gooner
The Aeolus 120s were called 120s because they were 120g so probably quite similar. I loved racing in them back when I was much lighter and faster. Shame they were only on sale for such a limited yime
SPR
Nov 2020
8:45am, 7 Nov 2020
32,157 posts
  •  
SPR
Weights always seem to be around size 8 so can usually add about 20g at my size, still I googled the shoe and it looks good and surprised it was a Karrimor shoe.
Nov 2020
11:46am, 7 Nov 2020
16,855 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah the 120gs look like they were interesting. For me the H streets hit a magical combination of lightweight, thin sole that allows proprioception but thick enough you're not dodging every pebble, and, perhaps importantly, a narrow sole but fitting a wide foot.

I had a theory, maybe bonkers, that the smaller surface area with the ground perhaps ever so slgihtly concentrated the force. Put it this was, I have a pair of invivo barefoots, which had a similar weight to H streets, similar sole thickness, but a wide sole and wide fit, and they were always crap to run in (I use them as slippers now ha!) And it was like how can basically two very siimilar shoes offer two very different running experiences, in speed work I was also slow in the Invivos, despite being dead excited about them at first, and the H streets I'm always fast, despite at times being skeptical about them.
SPR
Nov 2020
11:58am, 7 Nov 2020
32,158 posts
  •  
SPR
Chris - As I said across the page, the Floatride Run Fast Pro is an option.

Actually the narrowing in the arch area was one the reasons that the Salon wasn't right for me.
Dec 2020
4:27pm, 7 Dec 2020
17,010 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I've gone with the new Puma H.ST.20. Just arrived. Look nice. Feel nice.About to give them a test run.

BUT - as Gooner accurately observed, they're higher off the ground and bigger studs. And I'd say wider base of sole, heavier, not really true minimalist (I am fussy), and not that much like the original H streets. I will race in them in a Half on Dec 20th, so we will truly see then, but the originals were like running in slippers. these are like comfy running shoes.

(My contention is that one/both of the original's very low profile (while not being barefoot) and the narrow sole led to them being my ultimate PB shoes).
SPR
Dec 2020
5:12pm, 7 Dec 2020
32,432 posts
  •  
SPR
You still haven't looked at the Reeboks?
Dec 2020
5:37pm, 7 Dec 2020
19,070 posts
  •  
The G-oone-rinch
I did, the price put me off.
SPR
Dec 2020
5:45pm, 7 Dec 2020
32,434 posts
  •  
SPR
They were down to half price over cyber Monday. Still pretty expensive TBF but I don't see many (if any) other racers of that style around so I bought a third pair as I'm not sure how long a shoe like that will still be made for.
Dec 2020
5:56pm, 7 Dec 2020
17,011 posts
  •  
Chrisull
SPR - I did. Ditto the price put me off. Another thing I liked about the H streets was they were never over £60. I destroy running shoes with a slightly ungainly style, (that I think is unfixable, I supinate on the right and catch the right hand side of my right foot,semi-regularly. My right hip doesn't have the range of movement of the left, and any attempt to make it so, doesn't change that much (physio acknowledges improved range of motion, rather than equal is best I can hope for).

Anyway went out in the H streets, and Gooner is correct, slightly still ride, but they definitely have something. Next stop is to do a back to back with the VF4%s, Saturday run in the VFs for 10 miles, Sunday in the H streets (if I can face it). Wonder which will win?
Dec 2020
5:57pm, 7 Dec 2020
17,012 posts
  •  
Chrisull
stiff not still.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dipper
A place where all efficient schools of running can come together and discussing minimalist footwear.