Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Minimalist Footwear Thread

102 watchers
24 Feb
3:02pm, 24 Feb 2021
17261 posts
Chrisull
SPR - I can't see the return either, BUT the H streets predated pose - pose only really seized on them in the second coming. They were a nice vegan, lightweight, comfy running shoe that looked good and ran like an old fashioned flat shoe, instead of one built up in the Nike era. They weren't zero drop (I'm not a fan of zero drop, I like some drop, they were 4-5mm), they had some cushioning, they were narrow fit. It wasn't a checklist of impossible wishes, but what used to be standard in the 60s-70s-80s whenever.

It's not totally Puma's fault, the fashion went to zero drop but with loads more cushioning light weight. The other lightweight shoes tended to go to wide fits (I have a pair on Invivos I use as slippers. As running shoes they were shockingly poor). I'm looking for something that forces me to shorten my stride, quicken my cadence, f-lite 195s were the second best I found.
SPR
24 Feb
3:07pm, 24 Feb 2021
33372 posts
SPR
The H-Street were a fashion shoe that ended up being used for running. I know they were made in an old running style (well more a running spike style) but by the time they were manufactured they weren't really aimed at running.

It's so long since I tried the Pumas but 4-5mm drop sounds high and 4mm would have been an upper limit.
SPR
24 Feb
3:11pm, 24 Feb 2021
33373 posts
SPR
Actually I might be mixing it up with the Saloh TBF. Still don't think they were aimed at long distance running though which explains why they wouldn't be around now.
24 Feb
4:15pm, 24 Feb 2021
12484 posts
UltraDunc
Thanks SPR I’ll have another look at the specifications of those Altras. Meanwhile I had a good LT run in some old f-lite 195 which though a little narrow and have split on the upper outside still feel good with some 300 miles on them .
24 Feb
4:19pm, 24 Feb 2021
3762 posts
Tav H
One of the attractions of minimalism, or so I thought, was a low £ per mile value. :)

A pair of F-Lite 230 lasted me around 1500 miles. I guess these 195s are OK but have started to split after 500 miles.

The Xero Shoes, at £35, have at least 800 miles in them, and actually on pavement it doesn't matter if they wear through in a couple of spots. For trail I wear some Xero z-strap sandals which are much thicker, but for mud it would have to be shoes I think.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dipper
A place where all efficient schools of running can come together and discussing minimalist footwear.