Milton Keynes Marathon 2014

21 watchers
May 2014
11:05am, 6 May 2014
901 posts
  •  
RicC
Didn't like this race I'm afraid - roundabouts, out and backs with tight u-turns and a gazillion under and overpasses. The support and marshalling we're good but the course wasn't.
May 2014
11:17am, 6 May 2014
831 posts
  •  
Chris the Fish
I must admit, the underpasses on the way back to the stadium did for me. I was determined to run the lot but after about mile 23 the umpteenth down/up ramps meant that walkers were overtaking me, I got real grumpy and walked the up bits.

The support was great tho, really appreciated that.
May 2014
11:44am, 6 May 2014
98 posts
  •  
RoadRunner1981
[Removed by moderator]
May 2014
1:11pm, 6 May 2014
7,555 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I ran this with two friends whose first marathon it was - it took me about 90 minutes longer than it would have had I been going for my goal time. I really enjoyed it, liked the course and the marshalls were great. And not having to queue for the toilet beforehand? Unheard of!

It's on my "to do again" list :)
May 2014
4:58pm, 6 May 2014
2,180 posts
  •  
That man from March
I agree with much of what has already been said - Great marshals, water stations good even though I did not take the gels and gatorade on offer, I use different gels and don't like gatorade much, I thought it was a nice touch to have them. Can't say I liked the underpasses much in the second half. Quite liked the city section as I spent time trying to spot people I knew on the other side of the road/dual carriageway. Great facilities at the stadium. Unfortunately I committed the cardinal sin of not drinking enough in the first half when I was going well and was badly dehydrated in the second and could not recover.
FR
May 2014
5:27pm, 6 May 2014
1,411 posts
  •  
FR
I love the stadium finish, awesome. And I loved the run through the woods with the bluebells in flower. I either lost a gel or miscounted as my plan was to take one SiS gel (non-caffeinated) every 40 minutes then a caffeinated one at 3:20, but I took 'normal' gels at 40, 1:20 and 2:00. And the caffeinated one at 2:40. Drank water at every water station. Only had a banana for breakfast but never felt under fuelled.
May 2014
9:37am, 7 May 2014
105 posts
  •  
Charlie Chaplin
Is it just me but my quads are killing me now. Must be all the underpasses cos they feel worse now than after the Snowdonia Marathon. I thought the start was a bit chaotic with lots of people starting in the wrong place, but other than that I loved it. Great marshalls and support, plenty of water/gatorade/gels, and a stadium finish.
May 2014
10:12am, 7 May 2014
838 posts
  •  
Chris the Fish
My quads are absolutely killing me. Rest of the body is fine but stairs are a nightmare and I plonk rather than sit. My wife is taking the p**s something chronic!!
May 2014
10:40am, 7 May 2014
164 posts
  •  
Chris
Yup my quads are a bit tight still, everything else seems fine. Going to go for a short run tonight to assess the damage.
May 2014
11:28am, 7 May 2014
29 posts
  •  
cidad
quads still sore for me as well, the second half was difficult with the underpasses, the biggest problem for me was the parking at the stadium, it took over 45 minutes to get out of the car park due to no one organising traffic flow with cramping legs and paid extra for not Very Impressive Parking.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
Entries are open!! Who's in?