Milton Keynes Marathon - Bank Holiday Monday

10 watchers
May 2015
11:21am, 6 May 2015
74 posts
  •  
hurricanehamlyn
I managed to apply sunscreen so although I have a "healthy glow" am not suffering too much. My quads and the arches of my feet however....
May 2015
11:31am, 6 May 2015
4,913 posts
  •  
Badger
I'm a bit pink around the shoulders, but I put enough sunblock on that I can see it but not feel it. The calves are grumbling a bit - I got bad cramps in them after walking back to the hotel. Other than that, pretty good, not having any trouble with stairs or anything. Mind you I haven't tried running again yet!
May 2015
11:50am, 6 May 2015
363 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Sounds like people are in not to bad condition overall! I really must remember sunscreen for any future race of this length in particular.

Might try a gentle jog on Sunday at the earliest - definitely nothing before then.
May 2015
12:45pm, 6 May 2015
6,250 posts
  •  
becca7
Legs aren't too bad but I took it easy at MK. I did a little recovery run yesterday. My Factor 50 served me well too.
May 2015
1:09pm, 6 May 2015
30,626 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
There is nothing I've heard that makes me want to enter this race
May 2015
2:28pm, 6 May 2015
392 posts
  •  
officebased
With a name like HOD you would love this race. My legs are still complaining about the slopes/inclines/hills, all I know it wasnt what I call flat
May 2015
4:12pm, 6 May 2015
2,100 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
My quads are very sore and my calves and ankles tight. Also, I've periods when I just feel generally 'weak'. But not as bad as Tuesday. I may try a gentle 2 or 3 miles on Thursday, but I'll probably not do a proper training run until Sunday.

Pencilled in Chaps Chase #2 on evening of Wednesday13th. Entry on the day. Either one lap (5kms) or two laps (10kms) of Milton Keynes pretty (and flat) Caldecotte Lake. Intimate chip-timed FQ Events run. Really well organised. There's also Chicks races once a month.

Returning to the MK Marathon, I can't help thinking that they could design a course with fewer ups and downs. I did the MK Festival of Running 20 miler in March and, with the exception of the closing stretch, that seemed much flatter. Even a flat double-loop would be preferable to Monday's course.
May 2015
8:03pm, 6 May 2015
17 posts
  •  
Gym_Bunny
My legs are ok but my right shoulder is bizarrely painful. I'm not quite sure how I managed that! Maybe I tensed it up throughout the race. I certainly agree there were lots of inclines, and some nasty ones near the end which put paid to my sub-2:45 ambitions. But a race that begins and ends in the same place means the ups equal the downs!
May 2015
8:07pm, 6 May 2015
18 posts
  •  
Gym_Bunny
I thought the faffy 180s between 2 and 5 miles were unnecessary, and a little dangerous with steps and bollards. It's like they had a great 23 mile course and then dreamt up a way of extending it to 26! The point where the half marathoners carried on and the marathoners turned around was a little confusing too.
May 2015
8:10pm, 6 May 2015
19 posts
  •  
Gym_Bunny
I was pleasantly surprised that my Garmin measured me as going only 150m further than the official distance. For some races it's been way more than that! I did a 5K on an airfield in Stratford upon Avon which was 5.15 on my watch! That's 30 seconds.

About This Thread

Maintained by Tim of Fife
Everyone looking forward to this?

I'm hoping for my first ever sub-4. No MP in mind, so just p...