Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

67 watchers
Jun 2020
5:14pm, 2 Jun 2020
6,495 posts
  •  
sallykate
I like the idea of paying into a separate account.
Jun 2020
5:15pm, 2 Jun 2020
6,496 posts
  •  
sallykate
In fact I have an empty savings account which I could use.
MH
Jun 2020
5:22pm, 2 Jun 2020
678 posts
  •  
MH
We have petplan - it has paid off so far, particularly for one of ours.
Previous experience with our last cat - diagnosed with diabetes but then very suddenly went into ketoacidosis (totally unexpected - diagnosed on fri - due to go back on Mon to get started on meds, vet was fine with levels etc). Tense time to save his life over the weekend, and then later found out that our insurance didn't cover (fine print reading fail...). We would have paid it anyway but it was a large bill....
MH
Jun 2020
5:24pm, 2 Jun 2020
679 posts
  •  
MH
Bank accounts for the cats?

That would be dangerous, K would just run through it and spend it all on cat toys...
(reminds me of an old Steve Martin skit.....'you can't take 'em back, 'cos they all got spit on 'em!)
Jun 2020
5:55pm, 2 Jun 2020
7 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
A wise statistician once advised me never to pay for insurance that wasn't legally required - he would advocate saving the premiums and putting it towards a 'disaster' fund instead. Depends on how risk averse to paying out large chunks of money in one go should the worst happen you are. The kittens are lovely!
Jun 2020
6:04pm, 2 Jun 2020
6,497 posts
  •  
sallykate
Yes, that's what we concluded with P&L; Lenin had one week which cost about £1000 when first diagnosed with stage 4 kidney disease (several nights in vet hospital), Pablo had a bill for £900 for dental work (at the same time as we were having 10 weeks of building work on the flat, ouch) plus some biggish hits like sedation for ultrasound. The rest was consultations and meds so more easily absorbed. I think we probably spent about the same on them in bills as we would have done over two decent (12 and 15 years) lifetimes of insurance.
Jun 2020
6:06pm, 2 Jun 2020
6,498 posts
  •  
sallykate
(I'm aware that our vet isn't particularly cheap, judging by comments I see on local facebook pages, but he is (was - just retired) very good.)
Jun 2020
6:28pm, 2 Jun 2020
3,762 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
We’ve never had insurance for Mog or Jasper and have so far been lucky *touch wood*. How much are people paying for insurance?
Jun 2020
6:34pm, 2 Jun 2020
6,500 posts
  •  
sallykate
Petplan are quoting me £27 per month for two -- the premium would rise as they got a bit older. So an initial annual commitment of £324 plus whatever the cost of annual vaccinations & dental check is. That's for lifetime cover; I think it's a bit cheaper if it's just one year at a time.
Jun 2020
6:57pm, 2 Jun 2020
3,763 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
So if they live for 15 years you will spend over £5000 on insurance. I think I’d take my chances and insure myself .

About This Thread

Maintained by Hanneke
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...