Metatarsalgia (collapsed metatarsal head)

2 watchers
Nov 2011
7:54pm, 26 Nov 2011
5,041 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer♣of Beartown
I've had this since 2007.

I've been doing foot exercises (lightly curling a rubber band with my toes for fifteen mins a night), standing on a golf ball and wearing a "temporary" orthotic (made by my physio, basically pushes under the ball of foot and area behind it) for four years now. I've coped but it seems to be getting worse, and I suspect it is an underlying cause of other injuries I've had over the years.

Has anyone managed to get rid of this? Does anyone know an expert? Mine is getting worse now, would like to avoid an operation if possible. Any info / experiences gratefully received. I've done some reasearch, cures include 1-4 month rest (did not work), orthotics (don't work), and some support pad thing (looks like it will cause excessive dorsiflexion, don't fancy another year of PF). anyway, any info would be great!

Many thanks.
Oct 2017
10:20am, 5 Oct 2017
7 posts
  •  
phidip
Hi, I'm curious to know how you're getting on with your metatarsalgia. Or, if anyone else suffers from it how they're dealing with it.

I believe I have it although I've never been diagnosed by a doctor. I first noticed it, a burning pain in the ball of my foot, about 8 yrs ago when doing long distance cycling (200-300km rides). When it came on, I'd get off my bike and walk about a 1/4 mile and it would go away. It was always towards the end of the rides.

I stopped distance cycling a few years ago and have taken up running only recently. So far, it hasn't bothered me but my longest run has only been 6mi, 1:15min. I'm wearing shoes with a lot of cushion, not laced tightly.

I still suffer from 'hot foot' when hiking or long walks. I just find a place to sit, loosen my shoe or take it off and wait about 15min and it goes away. It affects both feet.

Thanks for any tips/information.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by M62 Santa
I've had this since 2007.

I've been doing foot exercises (lightly curling a rubber band with my...