Meralgia Paresthetica

2 watchers
Feb 2019
8:44am, 14 Feb 2019
14,038 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I have this annoying uncomfortable (but not painful) condition caused by compression of the subcutaneous femoral nerve. It is like a buzzing or numbness down the outside of my left thigh. It is never completely numb. It is sensitive to heat and light touch. I am not overweight or diabetic or wear particularly tight clothing (all normal triggers). Running is another trigger. I have been diagnosed by the physio who gave me some stretches and said come back in 10 days if not sorted. He said he knew cyclists with it who had "snapped"? the nerve completely.

He said fine to run on it, but don't hammer it. I did originally take 3 days off, first day it died down, second day it came back twice as bad. Running and any kind of stretching or walking loosen it. Stretching the psoas and glute and lying on a cricket make it disappear completely for a short time.

Standing up, sitting down in a slightly slouchy manner or sitting up in bed or lying on it all cause to return. 10 days nearly up and next to no difference. Anyone else had this or have any ideas?
Feb 2019
11:29am, 14 Feb 2019
14,041 posts
  •  
Chrisull
**bump** no-one had this then?
Feb 2019
11:42am, 14 Feb 2019
40,577 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Commiserations! I hope you turn out to be one of the fortunate people in whom the condition remits over a period of weeks, which happens quite commonly in a general practice population, rather than dragging on for many months.

The physio is the appropriate health professional to be advising you at this stage. If the pain and sensory disturbances are very disruptive and stop you from sleeping or doing everyday activities it would be worth discussing neuropathic pain treatments with your GP, but in meralgia paraesthetica many people find the medication side effects more troublesome than the condition itself.
Feb 2019
3:39pm, 14 Feb 2019
14,042 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Thanks v'rap, it doesn't impinge on everyday activities (and I'm actually running faster than I have for a few years),although it can disturb sleeping. I did discuss sleeping strategies with the physio which have proved as disruptive (a pillow between the legs on the side), but more often than not it doesn't - if I stretch before I sleep it calms right down, but have noted the comments about the medication and side effects!
Feb 2019
3:39pm, 14 Feb 2019
26,382 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's interesting. My Mum seems to be having similar symptoms but no one knows what it is. She finds her physio exercises help.
Feb 2019
3:45pm, 14 Feb 2019
40,580 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'd expect a physiotherapist to know what it is, Linds. With other health professionals, it's something they either know or don't know (a lot of GPs and nurse practitioners don't).
Feb 2019
3:48pm, 14 Feb 2019
14,044 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I told my phys in advance what it was, he grumbled about self-diagnosing good naturedly and said he'd find out what the issue was, but within 2 minutes he'd concluded that it was. It's hard to mistake, the trigger points on the diagrams even match mine exactly (I know not everyone will present in the same way).
Feb 2019
4:44pm, 14 Feb 2019
30,442 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Weird one. Good ol' Fetchie doctor(s) - V'rap is a star star dino

Hope you get it sorted / are able to manage it.

I've got to the stage that if my legs aren't actually falling off, I consider myself fit and well and just keep on running, personally. :-) G
Feb 2019
4:53pm, 14 Feb 2019
9,638 posts
  •  
lammo
Where do you get your crickets to lie on?

What do you do with them afterwards?

;-)
Feb 2019
1:40pm, 15 Feb 2019
14,050 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The most useful stretches I've found for this are here for future reference for anyone else:

precisionmovement.coach

Particularly the hip mobility one, and the psoas one with a lacrosse ball (read cricket ball) is interesting. Did that one this morning, it's awkward with a 10 kg weight on and something definitely *moved* tissue/muscle wise and everything has been a bit easier today certainly.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
I have this annoying uncomfortable (but not painful) condition caused by compression of the subcutan...